21

marshall pov
a few days later

"hey, marsh" samantha said as she opened the apartment door. "hey, good morning" I said barely above a whisper.

"is avery still sleeping?" she asked as I nodded. "I appreciate you coming over this early. I didn't want her to be alone but this deadline kinda creeped up on me faster than I realized" I said, grabbing my stuff.

samantha let out a chuckle, "seriously, no worries. i'm sure it's easier for me to work from here than you" she said as I nodded in agreement. "and.. that's exactly why I put a studio in my house"

"but since being with avery, paul and myself have talked about finding a studio space for when i'm down here" I said. "but I should only be gone a few hours, and there's freshly made coffee if you want"

"thanks, marsh" she said before closing the door behind me. I stepped into the elevator, dialing dre. "yo.." he said as he answered the phone.

"where you at?" I asked, as I stood at the main door of the apartment building. "pullin' up" he said as a black escalade came to a stop. I walked up to the car, getting in and before getting comfortable in the passenger seat. 

--

I could feel the acid emerging up my throat. I was scared out of my mind, but I wanted to do this more than anything. I wanted avery, more than anything.

"well good mornin' fellas, how can I help y'all today?" an older man said as he introduced himself to us. I cleared my throat, "mornin'... i'd like to take a peek at a some engagement rings today"

"alright well... c'mon over, i'd be happy to help. is there something in particular you're lookin' for?" he asked. I shook my head, intimidated by all the rings around. "i'd figure i'd know it was the perfect ring when I saw it"

he let out a low chuckle, "I like the confidence. have a seat and i'll start pulling some options for you to look at" he said before walking away. "you okay, marsh?" dre asked as he sat down next to me.

"what if she doesn't like the ring I pick? what if she says no?" I deadpan. dre let out a chuckle and shook his head, "you're kidding me right? marshall that girl looks at you like you hung the moon and the starts. she ain't saying no"

"okay first option, is going to be a classic round cut. the diamond is two carrots, near colorless with vs clarity. all in a white gold setting" he said, holding the ring between a large set of tweezers. 

I tried to swallow the saliva collected in my mouth but the nausea was quickly winning. dre turned toward me, "you okay, you're all flushed" he said. I shook my head, "I-I just need a minute, I need some air"

I knew I wanted to propose to avery, but chaos was erupting in my head. "marsh, marshall!! yo, you good?" he asked. I shook my head again, "what the fuck am I doing? i'm buying a fucking engagement ring" I said trying not to spiral.

"okay, alright. are you unsure about getting the ring? maybe you wanna wait a little longer?" dre said cautiously. I sighed, "I know that deep down I want to propose, and marry avery but that kinda commitment is just scary"

"I have avoided any type of serious relationship for years, but the feelings I have for avery make me want to move god damn mountains for her"

"well, there's your answer. now go back inside and pick a ring for that sweet girl. and something big, cause she puts up with our stupidity" dre said as he pushed me back inside. I took a deep breath before walking over to the counter.

"everything, okay?" the jeweler asked as I nodded. "we have more than enough options here to make a beautiful girl happy as can be mr.mathers" he said as he pulled another ring. but he was right, avery deserved the absolute world and I was gonna give it to her.

"alright, so this ring is an elongated cushion cut. it's a little over two carrots, still near colorless along with the vs clarity in a white gold setting. what do you think?" he asked. I let out a deep sigh, "I knew this was gonna be a hard decision.."

after careful consideration, I was still at a loss. "avery would love anyone one of these, but which one do you see on her finger?" dre asked. I shrugged before letting out another sigh before the jeweler came back with yet another option.

"I noticed none of the shiny flashy ones are catching your eye so I wanted to try a different approach. there are just some people that don't want their rings to be over the top, they prefer a more simplified version" he said as he placed the ring down.

the ring.

--

avery pov

"hey.." I said as I shuffled out of the bedroom. "mornin' honey. how you feelin' this morning?" samantha asked as she looked up from her computer. I shrugged before letting out a forced groan.

"sore as shit.." I said before plopping down on the couch. she sighed, "everything will heal in time honey, I promise" she said before sitting next to me on the couch. 

"not that I don't love to see you but why are you here? where's marshall?" I asked as I snuggled into the warmth of the blanket, that was permanent with marshall's cologne. "he asked me to come and stay here with you cause he had to meet up with dre"

"he said something about a deadline" she said. I quickly furrowed my eyebrows, "deadline? what deadline?" I asked. 

she shrugged, "i'm not sure. that's just what he told me before he left, he didn't really go into much detail. and also your pr team called, just to get ahead of all the bullshit. but you're trending again.." samantha braced herself for what I was about to say. 

I rolled my eyes, "why?" I whined out. "because of the accident, I mean, sometimes I think you forget that you and your family are household names"

--