#2 - Womanhood

CONTENT WARNING

This work of fiction contains profanity and mature themes. It depicts instances of SA, violence and sexuality. Please exercise discretion.

* * *

Jiya lay in her bed. She had a hard, grim expression on her face. Moonlight streamed through the window and reflected off, creating a sheen of sweat on her soft face.

Arin dosed off next to her, spent after indulging in marital pleasure. As Jiya tossed to her side, she wondered why she always felt so violated every time this happened.

The next morning, after her husband had gone to the office and she was putting away freshly washed and ironed clothes, the doorbell rang.

In the door stood a middle-aged couple. A stout woman with the same deep brown eyes Jiya's husband's and a wrinkled face and a tall, lean man with a graying mustache but the same features as Arin. She welcomed her in-laws inside.

She dutifully covered her chest with her dupatta. Her in-laws lived near their apartment and visited them quite often.

"How are you, Jiya bahu?" Asked Anupama, her mother-in-law.

"Good, how are you both?" Jiya plastered a sweet smile on her face.

"Great! Has Arin gone for work?"

"Yes Maaji."

"Good," The woman had the same hysteric laughter as her son, "Well, beti, I'm here to tell you about someone that will definitely help you,

"It has been four years since your wedding, hasn't it?

"I found Dr Sheila Martin. Trust me beti, she's the best fertility doctor in the city." Anupama's eyes gleamed with hope. Hope of finally having a grandchild.

Her husband just nodded. He was a man of few words.

Jiya's gaze dropped to the floor. She felt the words sting where it hurt the most.

"Sometimes God tests us. We must prove to him how much we value his gift. We have to strive for it. Jiya beti, are you understanding what I'm saying? Here's her contact number."

"Sure," Jiya felt her voice crack. She felt tears welling up in her eyes.

"Good," Anupama rose from her seat and planted a peck on her daughter-in-law's forehead.

After the invasive couple had left, Jiya raced to her bedroom and slammed the door shut. Then she collapsed against it and burst into tears.

She had always wanted to be a mother. Failing to fulfill her duty as a woman and people doubting her femininity broke her heart. She sent a prayer to God for a child.

* * * * *

Just as Jiya's favourite sitcom halted for a commercial break, the doorbell rang and she knew who it was going to be.

"Welcome back,"

"Thanks."

Arin handed over his bag to Jiya. He also had a small carry bag in his hand.

"Jiya. I have a surprise for you,"

Jiya's mood seemed to improve, "Yeah?"

"Our company is having a welcome party for the new boss. That crazy bitch I was talking about, He paused to laugh a little, "It's gonna be huge. HUGE!" He motioned his hands to signify it.

"Oh!"

"We are told to bring our families along with us. It's on Friday."

"Friday?"

"Yes. And don't dare wear one of those old-fashioned shalwar kameez. No! I got you this." He grinned.

Arin took out a dazzling sunset dress from the bag. It was a long gown with yellow, pink and red shades. It was magnificent.

Jiya grabbed the dress from his hand. She was in awe, "Woah! This looks beautiful."

"I know." Arin flashed a proud smile, "Now you'll get to meet my crazy boss." Arin laughed like a maniac.

Jiya was really excited.

* * *

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this part! Thank you!