#15 - Not Letting You Go

She eyed Meher's injured arm bound to her torso. "Ouch, that looks painful,"

"Yeah, it definitely is," She extended her other hand forward, Jiya following through a passageway into a grand living room.

The lights were dimmed low. Meher pointed to a cozy sofa set. It felt soft and velvety to the touch. 

Jiya's gaze swept through the living room, taking in its grandeur. Her lips were slightly parted open, "You live alone?"

"Umm, yeah I guess." Meher shrugged. Her eyes were dark now and glinted with sorrow and exhaustion.

"What do you mean?"

"There's Sumedha, the house help, but she's at her hometown right now for a wedding. And ... "

"And?"

"Payal had moved in with me a week ago,"

"Oh, where is she? Is she home?" Jiya tried her best to fake enthusiasm, although a pit of gloom had formed in her stomach.

"She left," Meher looked down at the floor. She tried her best to sound stoic, but her eyes were teary now.

"Oh... " Jiya couldn't find the right words. "I just thought of dropping by to check in on you, Meher. Is your arm better now?"

"It's getting better ... " Meher said. "Thank you for looking after me at the hospital,"

"The pleasure is all mine," Jiya smiled sincerely.

"Uh, let me make you some coffee," Meher was trying so hard to avoid any and all eye contact. She was just staring at the floor instead.

"No! You have a broken arm, Meher. I can't let you,"

"Try to stop me, then," Meher disappeared out of the living room, Jiya striding close behind.

...

Jiya watched Meher like a fascinated little child with her hands on her hips, as Meher stood in front of the stove. The milk in the vessel was heating up. Jiya's cheeks were flushed.

"Jiya, could you pass me the instant coffee?"

Jiya's lips were slightly parted. She was captivated. 

"Jiya,"

"Earth to Jiya Sharma!"

"Hm?" Jiya looked startled.

Meher motioned her right arm to the instant coffee container.

"Oh, right," Jiya reached for the instant coffee, swinging her arm to the other side as the container slipped through her hands onto the kitchen counter. The dark powder spilling right over.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry!"

This was such an embarrassment. Jiya was such an embarrassment. How could she mess up such a simple task? She hoped desperately that she hadn't pissed the CEO off. This was terrifying!

"Relax, woman!" Meher chuckled.

Jiya looked half shocked, half relieved as she gathered the spilled remnants and disposed of it. Meher looked calm, and this was the first time Jiya saw a tiny smile on Meher's face.

Her heart had accelerated as she saw Meher's smile widen. 

Meher adeptly prepared coffee with only one arm. Jiya watched sheepishly, not wanting to interfere any more.

"Are you doing alright, Jiya?" Meher poured steaming hot coffee in two mugs.

"Yes. No drama since a week. It almost feels too calm ..."