#20 - Sharing Sorrows

Stong musk and a faint smell of cigerattes now lingered on Jiya's body. Jiya's cheeks were flushed red as heat climbed upto her face. She felt the warm, fuzzy feeling in her tummy return again, even after the tall woman had stopped hugging her.

Meher had a tiny smile on her face, her eyes gleaming.

"Let's go to my closet," Meher announced.

Jiya nodded, following her like a lost puppy.

Jiya almost gasped audibly when she saw Meher's large closet, "Fancy place," 

"Pajamas are over here," Meher pointed to a far section, "Pick whatever you like,"

Jiya wandered like a mesmerized little child to the far end of the closet, her hand rummaging through soft, cozy clothes. Her smile had dropped.

"Something wrong?" Meher asked.

"Hmm?" Jiya asked back, her eyes fixed on the clothes in front of her. Her smile had long vanished.

"You seemed happy a moment ago. Anything wrong?"

"No ..."

"You sure?" Meher raised an eyebrow.

"Meher," Jiya spoke softly, "After whatever happened between me and Payal last time, I don't wanna interfere again,"

Jiya had tears in her eyes now. Meher's presence was exactly the kind of amnesia Jiya needed after her betrayal that evening. She liked to be around her.

"Jiya, Payal and I are no longer together,"

Jiya gazed at Payal.

"We broke up for good." Meher began, "After what happened the last time." She looked at Jiya's swollen cheek, then at the bruise on her arm.

"Oh,"

Jiya did not know what else to say.

Meher looked away, her back facing Jiya. She had a hand on her hip, "I don't have anything against Payal. I loved that woman, Jiya," Meher exhaled, "Maybe I still do,"

"I understand, Meher,"

"The good times were really good. But the bad times ..." Meher trailed off, "Well. She wasn't herself when she was pissed. It used to be verbal abuses initially, but it escalated to hitting, slapping. She had a hard time regulating herself,"

"Physical violence?" Jiya raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah. It's hard to believe, but domestic violence in lesbian couples is statistically higher than straight couples.

"She used to get violent. But she always felt guilty afterwards. She was a good person, Jiya. But we all have our inner demons I guess. She used to disappear randomly. And then come back as if nothing had gone wrong. 

"I have my flaws too. And I loved her. I did not want to let her go, I really wanted this to work out. The day India legalizes gay marriage, I wanted to ask her to be my legal wife." Meher was now facing away from Jiya, her brown hair in view. She had crossed her arms over her chest.

"Actually, a lot of the clothes in this place are hers." Meher said.

"I see,"

"When we moved in together in this house, things were normal for a bit until she started getting violent again. And then she just disappeared. We would fight almost every single day."

"She returned that day right? When I was staying over for the night," Jiya remarked.

"Yep. When she attacked you that morning, that was the last straw. We had to end it." Meher sighed.