#3 - La Elegancia

Jiya put on a shimmering gold earring in her ear. She smiled at her own reflection.

The colourful sunset dress fit her petite frame well. It clung to her soft curves and accentuated her delicate figure. She had worn the golden necklace Arin had gifted her on their first wedding anniversary. Her eyebrows were dark and shapely. Glittery eyeshadow sparkled on her eyelids. Her button nose shined and her cheeks were rosy by rouge.

The lipstick was dark red in colour, her favourite shade. Dimples appeared on either sides of her face as she smiled.

"Honey. How do I look?" She whipped around to face Arin.

Arin glanced from his phone to look at her, "Great,"

Arin was clad in a navy tailored suit. They were ready to leave.

La Elegancia had a grand entrance with a carpet of meticulously mowed lawn and a fountain at its centre. They were ushered to the dining area where the entire team at Arin's company, was already present.

Too many people. It was overwhelming. A couple of people rushed towards Jiya and Arin to greet them. Jiya smiled.

Her gaze swept across the crowd to take in the details of every face and every party outfit. And then her gaze locked with a pair of eyes intensely fixated on hers.

She was tall. Pretty tall. Her hair was cropped really short. It was light brown. It fell across her forehead unevenly and she looked adorable. Her eyes were unlike any other Jiya had aver seen. Were they brown? Hazel? Black? It was hard to tell. But boy, were they beautiful.

It was too intense. Jiya quickly averted her gaze, feeling cheeks heat up.

She was indeed dressed up just like a man. Grey grey tailored suit. Polished shoes. Her arm was interlinked with another arm. Jiya's gaze trailed to the woman standing a little too close to this stud.

This woman was considerably shorter and had faux-blond hair. She was in a black dress and pointy heels. She was pretty. Pretty fake.

"That's my boss." Arin pointed towards the tall woman in the suit, "Meher Ramnani. She's actually Ramnani Sir's daughter. A Harvard graduate." He whispered further.

Meher had an unreadable expression on her face. She was calm. Expressionless. Did she ever smile? She noticed that Meher was looking right at her. Jiya felt nervous.

"And that's Payal. Her girlfriend." He pointed to the woman with faux-blond hair.

Oh. Oh, okay.

La Elegancia had the tastiest Italian cuisine Jiya had ever had. It was heavenly. The food melted right on your tongue. Impressive.

Of course, Arin was on his phone. Jiya had accepted the fact that he was a cellphone addict with no intentions of recovering. There was a smirk plastered on his face and he had been typing away furiously with one hand, while stuffing Parmesan pasta in his mouth with the other.

Jiya's eyes wandered across the booth and landed on Meher. She was breathtaking. Meher was wiping her mouth with a napkin and talking to another woman sitting across from her. Jiya's eyes were trained on Meher and she didn't even know it.

She had an air of dominance about her. No, it wasn't tyrannical. It was more like a confidence that exuded off a good leader. Jiya didn't even realise that she had stopped eating her garlic bread and was totally transfixed on her husband's boss instead.

Meher glanced at Jiya. Jiya averted her gaze very swiftly.

That was embarrassing.

When Jiya turned to look at her husband again, he was gone. She finished her food and then texted him.

You 

Where are you? (✓, 9:14pm)

She waited. Wandering on her own for a bit, she finally decided to call him when he was nowhere in sight.

You 

 Where are you? (✓, 9:14pm) 

 Arin? (✓, 9:37pm)

✆Arin missed a call (9:42pm)

Jiya decided to look for Arin at the rooftop lounge.

The air was chilly at the rooftop. Pop music blared from a corner and the area was sparsely populated. She looked for him everywhere.

And then she saw her.

Her tall figure was facing Jiya's back. She stood at a quiet corner of the rooftop, all by herself. She had a cigarette in between her fingers. Jiya walked closer to her, almost as if in a trance. Meher turned around. She took a puff and raised an eyebrow at Jiya.

"Hey," Jiya blurted out.

Meher was silent. Her eyes were fixed on Jiya. Jiya felt her palms grow sweaty as Meher looked at her calculatedly. Then she extended her hand forward.

"Hi. You're Arin's wife, yeah?"

Meher had a raspy voice. It was so mystical. So attractive. Jiya almost got goosebumps. She shook her arm. Meher had a firm grip.

"Y-yeah."

Meher smirked.

And had Jiya been more aware of her own reactions, she would have felt the butterflies in her stomach.

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this part! Thank you!