#8 - Anonymous

Unknown Number

Jiya Sharma. Ur husband is an unfaithful son of a bitch. He has been cheating on u with his colleague. And babydoll, I pity ur ignorance. I can't stand it anymore.

Jiya read and re-read that text. She wanted to ignore it and delete it and block this stupid number. But her eyes were glued to the screen in front.

There were three pictures attached right below the text. The final text read:

Of course u don't believe me, babydoll. See it for yourself.

Jiya switched off her phone but the voice in her head telling her to view the pictures had already emerged triumphant.

The first picture only showed her husband's face. He was making out with some woman who was definitely not herself. But she couldn't see her the woman's face as her back faced the camera. The quality of the pictures was grainy, as if taken from afar through a window. 

She could tell that this woman had long, wavy brown hair. But that was it. She zoomed in to confirm that it was in fact Arin's face.

She scrolled further to find the second one. It was way more explicit with Arin's face buried in the woman's ample bust. The woman had a look of ecstasy on her face. 

The woman in question..being....Kanak? 

That was Kanak's face. It was definitely her.

Seeing the lewd content Jiya had never asked for, triggered peristalsis. The bile in her abdomen rose to her throat and she rushed to the sink to vomit.

She threw her phone on the bed in disgust. Tears were forming in her eyes and her throat hurt. A rage unlike any other had taken over her senses.

She picked up the phone and dialed her husband's number. She switched the call settings to video and just in a couple of rings, Arin's face popped up on the screen.

Arin's dark hair was ruffled and his cheeks looked reddish. And the man was shirtless. 

This was it.

"Hi, baby."

Baby? He rarely called her that.

"Arin," Her voice was cracking.

"How are you? Is everything okay?" 

"Why are you shirtless? Is there someone else in that room?!" Bitterness laced her voice.

"What do you mean? I can do as I please. What the hell has gotten into you?"

"Is there someone else in your room, Arin?"

"No, I'm all alone."

"Arin--"

"Jiya, are you doubting me?! What in the world--" He sounded irritated, "See for yourself!" He panned the camera of his phone in a 360 degree movement.

He was right. He was indeed all by himself.

Jiya hung up. She was so ashamed of herself. How could she have done that? Listening to some muppet and doubting Arin like that. Those photographs could very well be morphed. This was unacceptable.

Her phone dinged again. She was prepared to confront this person who had tried to poison her relationship with her husband. But it was a text from a different number.

Unknown Number

Hello, Jiya. This is Meher. Please let me know if you can't send lunch today so that I can make alternate arrangements.

Oh, it was Meher. She saved her number.

Jiya

Hey...Sorry, I won't be able to come today. 

Meher texted back almost immediately.

Meher

No worries.

Meher

Are you alright? 

Jiya was about to type in the next message when a different notification distracted her.

 Unknown

Babydoll. U didn't take me seriously. Did u? Now they're going out on a romantic date. Don't believe me? Try calling him. He won't answer the call. Bcz he's with her. :)

That stupid smiley face at the end pissed Jiya off so much. She instantly pressed the block button on this person.

After an hour of trying to fixate her mind elsewhere, such as her favourite soap opera, she finally gave in and dialed Arin's number.

The number you're trying to call is currently busy. Please try again later.

Jiya tried to convince herself that the call mustn't have delivered because this was an international call. But a seed of doubt had been planted.