#4 - Out Of Control

Meher disposed off her cigarette and folded her arms across her chest. 

Silence lingered between the two. Meher's stoic stare was fixated on Jiya and Jiya was looking at the floor.

Meher cleared her throat and was about to say something when her phone cut her off.

"Bloody hell," She mumbled before answering, "Yes? Yeah..I'll be right there."

She began walking towards the exit before giving one last look to Jiya.

Wind howled in the background. Jiya stood at the same spot as before, gazing up at the starry sky. Meher had already left, leaving a hint of her enigma behind.

She decided to go back downstairs too. She shuffled towards the women's restroom and stopped in her tracks.

"Arin?"

Arin's hair was a mess and he looked flustered. Also, what the hell was he doing near the women's restroom?

"Jiya,"

"Oh, here you are! Where were you? Why did you disappear? And why didn't you answer my texts? Also, this is the women's restroom!" Jiya couldn't help but laugh. Arin looked like a deer caught in the headlights.

"I-- uh, I didn't know. Accidents happen," He stuttered and then laughed.

"But why didn't you answer my calls?"

"Something important came up, okay?!" He shouted, "I'm waiting near our car, come back once you're done."

Jiya nodded.

Jiya entered the restroom to find only one other woman in the restroom. She had waist-length black hair that she was brushing. Her dress was gorgeous. It had a deep cut that showed off her cleavage. Her lipstick was really smudged. 

Jiya smiled at her and the woman smiled back through the reflection in the mirror.

"You're Kanak, right?" Jiya recognised her as one of the members of Arin's team.

"Yeah," Kanak smiled and turned around, "And you're Arin wife, right?"

"Yes,"

Kanak's smile grew wider. 

* * * * *

The crowd had gathered just outside the restaurant. People were waving and shaking hands. Arin flashed a smile at his closest colleagues  and did the notorious bro-handshake. Jiya stood quietly next to Arin.

"Yes bhai, let's meet on Monday." Arin waved at them.

He moved towards Meher, ready to shake hands with her. Jiya followed him close behind.

"I met Kanak in the washroom."

Arin held his arm out towards Meher and remained motionless for a whole minute, "So?"

"Did you meet her?" Jiya asked.

"What do you mean? Of course I didn't. I mean, I met her a long time ago!" Arin was clearly yelling at Jiya. What had gotten into him.

Meher stared coldly at Arin and then her eyes focused on Jiya. Her stare seemed to soften.

"I was just--" Jiya began.

"No, nevermind."He now faced Meher. "Meher Ma'am, I'll see you on Monday." Arin plastered a fake grin on his face.

"Of course you will, Mr Sharma." Coldness laced her voice. Then she diverted her attention towards Jiya, "It was nice meeting you, Mrs Sharma."

"Likewise," Jiya smiled warmly at the tall woman. She was just a couple of inches shorter than Arin.

At that, a tiny smile played on Meher's lips.

* * * * *

Jiya sat in the passenger seat of their car. The engine revved to life. Arin was glued to his phone, with his other hand on the steering wheel. Jiya watched as his expressions changed rapidly, eyes still on the phone.

"Keep it away now," Jiya whispered.

At that moment, Arin threw the phone in her lap, "I'm so tired of this bullshit!"

"What's the matter?" Jiya asked.

"I saw Mom's message. She wants us to visit another fertility specialist. When the fuck is this going to end?" Arin was fuming. The vehicle zoomed. He was out of control.

"Arin p-please slow down!" Jiya begged.

Arin pressed his foot harder on the accelerator, "All I want is to be a dad!" He yelled.

Jiya had tears in her eyes. She shrieked in fear as the car was about to slam in the truck in front.

"Fuck." Arin halted the vehicle just in time.

Jiya was sobbing uncontrollably, tears of mascara running down her cheeks, "I'm sorry. I'm a failure," She whispered softly.

Arin just grunted and slammed on the breaks.

He sighed, "Jiya, fix the appointment for Monday. You can visit my office post lunch and then we'll leave together."

Jiya nodded.

* * * * *

Monday afternoon, Jiya left for Arin's office. As decided, they would leave together for Dr Martin's appointment. 

Jiya looked up at the towering glass building in front of her. It was nothing new. She was used to the landscape as she always brought lunch for her husband. 

(She believed that tiffin lunch wasn't nearly as fresh and meals should be fresh and home-cooked. Also, the company was at walking distance from their apartment.)

The guard saluted her and she took the elevator to the thirteenth floor. 

It halted on the sixth floor and in walked the tall women with short hair. Today, her eyes looked more hazel.

"Hello," Meher greeted her.

"Hi, Meher ma'am."

"No ma'am, please. Just Meher," Her face was as stoic as ever.

"Okay, Meher." Jiya instinctively looked at the floor beneath her.

And then Meher was back with the calculative stare she always had when Jiya was around her. Only God knew what went on in her mind.