#6 - So....You Only Like Women?

Dr Sheila was a woman of few words. Her graying hair, wrinkled skin and the half-rim glasses sitting on the bridge of her nose were enough evidence of years of experience. She pushed her glasses back towards her face and cleared her throat.

"We would have to run some important tests, Mrs Sharma," She said to her new client.

Tired of the ordeal that Jiya had already gone through twice before, she sighed in resignation, "Okay."

"Let's get them done and then you can collect results next week. Our office will contact you."

"Okay."

There was nothing more heartbreaking. She was tired. Jiya wanted nothing but a clear answer. She dragged the chair with her feet and rose in her seat. 

* * * * *

Arin and Jiya were back in the car. Jiya's eyes looked shinier than usual.

"What's wrong with you? Why can't you just be a little practical and stop sulking for once?" Arin asked.

"I'm sorry," Jiya wiped a single bead of tear that escaped her eye.

"I forgot to tell you this. I have to go for a business trip. It's going to be four days long, starting tomorrow night."

"A business trip? Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"I forgot, alright?!" His grip on the steering wheel got tighter, "We're going to Singapore."

"Who all?"

"Rakesh, Kanak and I,"

"Oh," Jiya nodded, not thinking much of it.

* * * * *

The next day, Jiya carefully rolled a roti to make it perfectly circular with a rolling pin and paid extra attention to how much masala she added to the sabzi. She wanted the meal to taste as delicious as it could.

Right as lunchtime struck, she made her way towards the elevator door. Today, she had company in the elevator.

The man stood tall with dark, swept-back hair, whom she recognized as her husband's colleague, Rakesh. She gave him a warm smile and he smiled back at her. 

"Hello Jiya."

"Hi Rakesh. You're going for a business trip tonight, right?"

"Yeah, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it. I've been having some health problems."

"Ah, I see. Take care, Rakesh." She said as she got down the elevator.

She handed a tiffin box to her husband and then went to the fifth floor.

"Hey," Meher stood up in her seat, seeing Jiya at the door of her cabin. Her eyes didn't leave Jiya as she walked towards her husband's boss and held a tiffin box in her hand.

"Thank you." Meher took the tiffin box from Jiya's hands, "Please sit down,"

As Jiya sat down in the chair in front of Meher, she didn't even question once why she didn't care to join her husband for lunch but decided to spend her afternoon with this insanely attractive and intriguing boss of his.

The wick of curiosity had been lit in her mind. She just wanted to know everything she possibly could, about this person.

"This smells damn good," Meher took in the whiff of the food, gratification written on her face.

"I hope you like it,"

She took the first bite and it felt as if Meher was in heaven. 

Then something clicked. Meher rummaged through her drawer and pulled out her chequebook. She furiously started scribbling something on it. Jiya raised an eyebrow at Meher.

"Your full name is Jiya Arin Sharma, yeah?"

"Yes, why?"

"Just a minute."

Meher handed Jiya a cheque, "Now that you're making lunch for me everyday, I owe you this,"

"No, no. I cook as a hobby. I love cooking for others. I have never monetised it,"

"Just keep it," There was so much authority in this person's voice. Jiya couldn't refuse.

"You really don't have to," Jiya looked down at the check, "It's a blank check!"

"Yeah," Meher merely shrugged. 

"No, Meher. I can't--"

"Shhh," Meher leaned slightly inwards, placing a finger on her lips. Her eyes gleamed. It set Jiya in a mild trance. She accepted it.

Meher continued eating and Jiya couldn't help but watch her in awe. She was a meticulous creation, blessed with pure good looks. She noticed how her eyes ever so slightly widened with surprise as she took every new bite. She noticed how a crease was created at the corner of her lips every time she chewed. Her lips, they were so soft...

"Are you not going to eat anything?" 

Jiya snapped back to her senses. "I--no, I have already had my lunch."

Meher raised an eyebrow but continued to eat.

Meher's phone started buzzing. It was on her desk. Payal's name flashed on the screen. Meher simply turned it off.

"I don't have the energy right now." Meher mumbled to herself.

"Payal? Isn't she your--" Jiya hesitated to utter the word.

"Girlfriend. Yes."

Jiya almost said something, but stopped herself. Meher noticed that.

"Yeah, I'm a lesbian."

"So...You only like women?"

"Yup."

Jiya had so many questions. 

"Since when have you known that you only liked women? And how were your parents okay with that? And how did you come to know? And--"

"Calm down-" Meher chuckled. Those dimples. They could make anyone melt.

"Sorry," Jiya flushed with embarrassment.

"Sorry? No, you're not supposed to apologise for such things." Meher assured.

"I've known since I was six. That's when I had my first crush." She continued, "My parents were extremely shocked at first, but they recovered, I guess. I always knew I was different. Always."

Jiya nodded, taking in the information. 

"How about you, have you ever liked a woman?" Meher's eyes narrowed, back to the cryptic expression she always had.

"No!" Her answer was a knee-jerk reaction.

Liking women was a bizarre idea that Jiya had never consciously dealt with before. No, Jiya had never felt for a woman like that. That would be so unimaginably weird, right?

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed this part! Thank you!