Chapter Forty-Six: Panacea

Stand User: Willis Nicholson

Age: 40 (physically, due to time dilation), 70 (chronologically, in 2047)

Stand Name: Third Eye Blind: Chamber of Reflection

Power: A

Speed: A

Range: C

Stamina: A

Precision: A

Development Potential: B

CW: mention of s*icide and traumatic events

Nicholson lay down on the ground, exhausted. The adrenaline that suppressed his injuries had dissipated, and he began to feel the pain inflicted on him by Clapton. Even though, in his eyes he had won, it was more of a pyrrhic victory. Even still, he was being overcome by pity for his opponent.

"I should've killed him... damn it, I never, ever should've underestimated him. Maybe... I should've told him about her... if he knew about Roxanne, he would've certainly joined me. If he knew how alike we are... I can't undo any of that now. He's dying alone, somewhere in the Gulf. I can't imagine what pain he's going through. The only good thing about this is that he won't come back for me, the gap between me and Shizuka has closed. That was the longest I've ever had to use Chamber of Reflection... I don't even know what time it is... no, what year it is! But now, there are no more obstacles left in between us... the suffering of so many people will end, including yours, Roxanne." he said, cracking a sad smile that no one would see.

~~~

Charles Nicholson was a Scotsman who was a relative newcomer in the field of chemistry during the 1940s. Although his achievements were not particularly grand, they were enough to arouse the attention of Robert E.O Speedwagon, the renowned entrepreneur and philanthropist. Speedwagon personally recruited Charles to his Foundation and became a fixture at the organization. Even during his first few years working there, he had managed to make several breakthroughs that would allow humanity to continue evolving. While Charles was a scientist, his true passion was watching humanity grow, and this would not have been possible if it were not for the encouragement and investment of his boss. He was so grateful, in fact, that when he and his American wife had their son, he named their boy in honor of the man who allowed his career and life to bloom: Robert Nicholson.

Charles was a generous man who enjoyed aiding everyone who needed it, and went out of his own way to make sure everyone benefitted from his discoveries. He, of course, adored his family, but that was where he had made one mistake. A mistake that would cost his family so much even two generations later. He did not teach Robert that things in life had to be earned. Whether it was by completing homework, or doing chores around the house, none of it mattered. Charles simply gave Robert what he wanted. Charles had been blinded by the kindness that he showed and was given, and set no limits for it even for his own family. As was expected, Robert became an overindulged young man. As long as it was not something as severe as murder, Robert was practically allowed to do whatever he wanted. As his father put in long hours in the lab, he was unsupervised much of the time, and developed distasteful habits such as drinking, partying frequently, flaunting money which he'd received from Charles, and womanizing. As he graduated from university, he was immediately given a job by corrupt Foundation officials under the impression that he would achieve accomplishments that were as celebrated as Charles', with almost no qualifying features. Robert did his best to fit in with normative society in order to mask his behaviors, which included marrying one of his former college classmates after merely two weeks of dating. A year later, in January 1977, their son was born in New York City, who they named Willis.