xii. 𝐈 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐏𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐨

"Okay, dude, this is not working out

"Okay, dude, this is not working out." Bryce spoke to the dog at the attempted bath, Bryce getting more water on him then anything. "I'm trying to help you, man."

Reaching back, he pulled his soaked t-shirt off, rubbing the dogs head with tear free soap. He practically crawled in with him so he'd stay calm. "See, where're all good. We are good."

The dog relaxed more with Bryce holding him the way he did. He gave a little grin, feeling a connection between the two of them. "You're all good now, dude. We're good."

"I got the food." Sam walked into the bathroom, holding the bag and Bryce's car keys. "How's he- oh woah, you guys look great."

"Yeah, we're getting there." Bryce hummed, looking back at her. "You can leave my keys in my room, we're almost done here."

Bryce finished up with the dog, towel drying him as much as he could before carrying him to his room. "Okay, man. You hungry?"

Sam had two bowls set out, food and water. Bryce set him down near them, the dog went to eating immediately. Sam grinned, sitting with her back on Bryce's dresser as he sat on the other side of the dog, close but not right next to each other. "We should keep him."

"Yeah?" Bryce rose his eyebrows her way. "You don't think he's got a family out there?"

"Maybe, but they clearly aren't taking care of him." she pointed out with a shake of her head. "He'll be better off here, or with me."

"What? You wanna split custody?" he cracked a grin at her, Sam nodded. "Seriously?"

"We're usually always together after school anyways. He can sleep one week at my house, one week here." Sam explained with a nod, grinning at the dog as he continued to eat his food. "I'll just have to convince my dad."

"Yeah." Bryce had to chuckle slightly. "He probably needs a name if we're gonna keep him."

Sam exhaled, rubbing his head as he continued to eat. "I like Picasso."

His eyebrows shot up, staring her way. "Like, the painter?"

"He looks like a Picasso." she defended herself as Bryce laughed. "I'm serious!"

"Picasso it is." he confirmed, grinned as Picasso continued to eat and drink his water. "Think he likes road trips?"

"Where you running off too this time?" Sam rose her eyebrows, knowing Bryce took off a lot during the summer. "Texas? Arizona?"

"Clearlake." he exhaled with a nod. "It's not for a few more months but my grandparents want me and Eli to come down early May for this family thing we do."

"What kind of family thing?" she questioned in curiosity.

"My dad, step mom, Eli, and my aunt, her kid and wife, and my grandparents all go stay at their house for the weekend. It's massive, seven bedrooms, and on a bunch of acres. Then we take our boats out and see who can make it to the other side of the lake first." Bryce shrugged his shoulders with a half grin. "We eat too."