Chapter 13

Rose smiled at Ryan as she sat next to him at the restaurant, "hey. Thanks for this Ryan. I actually did need a night out of the house."

He nodded, "of course. You looked like something was bothering you." He brought his hand up to her cheek, "your eyes don't shine like they did before."

She groaned, taking a drink of the wine he already had waiting for them, "stop being so.. sweet."

Ryan laughed, changing his face to a stern look, "I'll try."

She giggled as he broke the look quickly, "just friends Ryan."

"Sure. Still sort of dating?"

She sighed, "well no. Not exactly. It's complicated."

He chuckled, "okay then. Want to talk about it?"

"Yes." Once they ordered food, and more wine, she turned to him, "my friend Wren has been trying to get me to talk to her, but she doesn't have any kids. She doesn't understand what it means to be a single parent and trying to date."

Ryan took a big drink of his wine as he nodded, "I understand. Hard dating someone that doesn't have kids. Because then you have to decide if they are the right person to integrate into your life. And if they're even ready for that sort of thing. And then when you try to move on to someone else with kids, you find out they're already spoken for."

She laughed at his small smirk, making sure she knew he was talking about her. "I know." She sighed, "so I was dating this guy. We went out on a few dates, but I wasn't sure if he would be serious, so I didn't tell him about Sloane. But he found out about her and thinks I lied to him and should have told him. And I should have. But I didn't because I was worried about this very thing happening."

"I'm really sorry Rose. I know how you feel. I really do."

She nodded, "thanks Ryan. I knew you would."

He shrugged, "you have it bad. Talk to him. I'm sure you can work it out."

"I've tried. He wouldn't talk to me. And he ghosted me. I haven't heard from him since the day he found out about her. That was weeks ago."

"So? Go to him Rose. Go to him and talk to him. He'd be an idiot to let someone like you go."

She nodded, feeling her eyes wet with tears, "thank you Ryan." She leaned back, "so you and Sawyer's mom are divorced, right?"

He sighed, "yeah. We're amicable, it just didn't work out. What about Sloane's father."

She scoffed, "he's never been around. I couldn't even tell you where he is."

He rested his hand on hers on the table, "I'm sorry Rose."

She shrugged, "it's fine. My dad has helped me a lot with her."

🌹🌹🌹🌹

Rose let Ryan walk her to her apartment. She unlocked the door, letting him in as she tossed her stuff on the kitchen counter.

"Are you going to be okay? You're a little drunk."

She shrugged, "I'm fine." She leaned on his shoulder as she removed her shoes, "thank you for bringing me home." She hesitated, looking around, "Sloane is at my dad's for the night. You could stay.. if you wanted to."

Ryan groaned, "I would love to. You have no idea. But I can't. You're drunk and upset, and I couldn't do that."

She nodded, "fine then. No one wants me."

"That's... that's not what I said, at all. Fuck." He grabbed her hand, pulling her to him as he wrapped an arm around her waist, placing his other hand on her cheek, "because I may never get to do this again..." He heard a small moan as he crashed his lips into hers, making her wrap her arms around his neck. He pulled away, out of breath, "now go to bed Rose. Please."

🌹🌹🌹🌹

Rose sighed as she stood in the kitchen, making breakfast when she heard her front door open. She turned around to see her dad enter with Sloane. "Hey guys. Good morning."

He placed a paper in front of her as he kissed her cheek, "I thought you would want to see this."

Rose looked at her father before picking up the paper. She read it, feeling her heart sink to her stomach, "oh no."

Paul nodded, "tomorrow. You have to go."

"Of course I will." She slammed the paper on the counter, "fuck!"

"Swear jar!"

She laughed as she heard Sloane shout from the other room, "yeah yeah."

Paul smiled at her, "when's the last time you talked to him?"

Rose sighed, leaning against the counter. She crossed her arms, looking at he ground, "not since the ice cream shop. I don't know what to say to him dad."

"Maybe in this instance, you won't need to say anything to him. Just be there. How was your date with Ryan?"

She groaned, "I drank far too much. And it was not a date. He was terribly respectful and only kissed me and left me here alone. And he said I should talk to Ransom."

Paul smiled, "good. I agree."