Chapter Fourty One

"Girl you must think I'm stupid." Maddy said folding her arms, we were having a dumb argument.

"Not stupid but, but I used to think you're a bitch." I said putting my stuff into my locker.

"Oh really? And what's changed?"

I shrugged, "Nothing, I've just grown to like that about you." I winked at her, even though she was rolling her eyes at me.

"Guys! Guys, Maddy, have you heard?" Rue is back!" Kat said rushing towards us.

"Oh shit. Really?"

"Yeah, I just saw her." Kat told us.

"I thought she was going to rehab or something? Did she look okay? Is she sober?" I looked around to see if I could see her.

"That's what I heard but it mustn't have worked out."

"Speaking of sober, Daniel asked me to help him host a St. Paddy's party so you're both coming."

"Daniel? Daniel did? Like at his house?" Kat swallowed, quickly looking away from me.

"Yes at his house." I eyed her, she was being strange.

"Girl bye, I am not going." Maddy said dismissively.

"You have to."

She seemed to think about it for a second. "Fine, only if you let me borrow your Bottega's."

"Deal."

"What am I going to wear?" I said scrolling through online stores.

"No baby. The real question is who are you planning on taking home?" Maddy asked blowing a bubble of gum as we walked down the hallway, people making space for the three of us.

"Girl the mood I'm in I'm more likely to fight a dude than go home with one." I rolled my eyes.

"I need to find a rich man." Maddy said, watching on bored.

"Same."

"For what? You already have money."

"So?" I gave her the side eye. "That just means I'd rather spend his first! Besides, I don't know why you're sad about being single. Like I get being down about a breakup, that shit hurts. But being single is great! There's nothing more peaceful than not having a man who farts and lies in your life."

"I suppose you're right." She huffed. "Maybe I should be non-monogamous for a while. My nudes are hot to just send to one person."

"Yes girl. That's the vibe I like." I bumped my hip off of hers.

The bell was ringing loudly for home room and we went our separate ways, Kat and I walked together but Maddy's was further down the hall.

I was organizing my homework planner when Nate walked in.

"Morning." He leaned over my shoulder, grazing his fingers over the exposed skin of my lower back.

"Good Morning." I gave him a small smile, shifting some papers into a folder trying to ignore the butterflies I felt while he walked back to his seat.

Cassie had come in, but I just ignored her.

I had to admit studying with Nate the other night was actually really nice. He's surprisingly intuitive, I felt like he was really paying attention to me. He noticed everything before I even needed to voice it out loud. We joked a lot, he seemed to loosen up when it was just the two of us.

But that didn't mean I could rest easy.

I still had to break the news to a few people and I was fucking dreading it. It was all I could think about.