Chapter 29 - Following and Failing

After Adelina left for the loft, Scott, Stiles and Isaac decided to follow Jake. They hoped that they'd be able to find some sort of incriminating evidence that points to him knowing more about the werewolf pack and the hunters.

So far, they followed him through two lessons, which luckily Isaac and Stiles shared with him. Scott unfortunately didn't have any lessons with Jake, so he trusted Stiles and Isaac to keep an eye on him.

Finally it was lunch time and the three stood to the back of the cafeteria, watching Jake who sat at a table in the center, eating. Whilst trying to look inconspicuous, the three stood by a vending machine, stealing glances at Jake and listening into the conversations he was currently having.

"Anything?" Stiles questioned, being the only one without supernatural hearing, he had to rely on the two werewolves to relay all the information.

"Just school work and him saying he doesn't care if he fails this semester." Isaac huffed as he leant back against the wall.

"I meant anything supernatural?" Isaac rolled his eyes at Stiles' question.

"Nope." Scott sighed, quickly ending the conversation.

Whilst turning around, Stiles noticed Jake looking in the direction of the three of them. So in his attempt to act inconspicuous, he ended up making a fool out of himself. He panicked and spun on his heels, colliding into the vending machine in front of him before frantically stumbling his fingers across the buttons, seeming like he was buying something.

The action caused Isaac to roll his eyes for the seventh time that day, whilst Scott just shook his head.

"He's leaving." Scott stated simply as he noticed Jake stand up and head out of the cafeteria. Instantly the three of them trailed behind him, leaving enough distance to not appear suspicious, hopefully.

After a few minutes of creeping around corners and earning suspicious glances from other students, they found themselves at the library. Following Jake inside, they quickly rushed up to the top level, leaving Jake at the bottom.

From here, they had a birds eye view of the entire library and it made it easy to keep an eye on him. They watched intently as he walked to a secluded section, standing behind a bookshelf before pulling out his phone and dialing a number.

"Look, look! This is it!" Stiles whispered excitedly.

Both Scott and Isaac perked their ears, listening carefully to the conversation on the phone. Though they couldn't hear much, whoever Jake was talking to knew to be quiet on the phone. Jake responded with short one word answers such "yes" and "understood".

Stiles had taken to biting his thumb nail, the anticipation of a potential clue filling him completely. His knee bounced tirelessly before it was too much for him and he blurted out what was on his mind. "So is he planning something evil with a mass murdering alpha werewolf? He looks agitated. I'm agitated? How does he smell?"

"Like Armani." Scott nodded his head as he sniffed the air.

Stiles shared a confused glance with Isaac before furrowing his brows at Scott, "...What?"

"You know. Like Danny. He wears Armani aftershave."

"Chemosignals Scott." Stiles huffed in exasperation.

Again, Isaac rolled his eyes, "He's calm."

"Too calm." Scott started, "Not once did his heart beat rise, no blips or jumps. I think he's controlling his heart beat."

The three looked at each other, all silently agreeing with Scott was saying. Jake was far too suspicious to be innocent.

Stiles glanced back down to where Jake was stood, his eyes widening. "Guys..." He called, gaining the attention of the two werewolves who were muttering beside him. Both their eyes darted to where Jake was stood, well where he was supposed to be stood. They looked away for 5 seconds at the maximum and now suddenly the suspicious werewolf had completely disappeared from view.

"Where'd he go?!" Isaac asked frantically as he gripped the railing, his crystal orbs darting across the library.

Stiles too leaned over the railing, rising to his tip toes as he practically hung over the edge. It was a stupid idea, but he was attempting to look underneath the platform he was standing on incase Jake moved there.

"What the hell are you three idiots doing?" A calm voice called from behind them, startling them.

Scott and Isaac immediately spun around whilst Stiles struggled to stand upright without falling over the rail. When he quickly gained his composure, he noticed it was Jake who stood behind them. Curse the werewolf agility that let him get up a flight of stairs without anyone noticing. "Us? We were just hang- hanging out." Stiles stammered as he sucked in his bottom lip.

With an unimpressed look, Jake raised a brow at them before taking a step forward. He smirked when he noticed Isaacs eyes flicker a golden hue and his fists clench. Scott stood rooted to the spot in complete shock.

"You know..." Jake spoke with a calm yet mocking tone, "For a true alpha, you're a real disappointment, Scott. I mean the three of you suck at keeping a low profile." He spat Scott's name.

Stiles noticed Isaac grit his teeth and then looked over at Scott, growing utterly confused by his best friend. Scott hadn't said a single word, or moved or even blinked. He was just standing completely still whilst staring at Jake with wide eyes. What the hell was going on with him?

"Yeah well at least we aren't killing a bunch of people with some random alpha and his pack." Stiles accused, surprised by his sudden bravery.

He noticed Jakes smirk falter for just a second before returning, "Huh..." Jake breathed as he clicked his tongue to the roof of his mouth. Neither confirming nor denying Stiles' accusatory statement.

Isaac was too concentrated on trying to control his anger and not rip Jakes throat out that he couldn't speak. Scott was still having some sort of crisis whilst staring at Jake that it he seemed he was deep in thought.

"Well. I guess I'll see you losers around. Next time with preferably less witnesses." With a malicious grin, Jake turned and walked down the stairs then out of the library. Scott's wide eyes followed his every movement. The small threat by Jake played in their minds, he was definitely working with the alpha, he had to be. And being completely honest, the threat scared Stiles a little. Jake had basically marked him as the next victim and considering that there had already been 22 bodies found in the last 7 months, he had a right to feel uneasy.

"Well that was helpful." Stiles huffed, his word filled with sarcasm like usual as he ran his hand through his hair.

"Actually..." Scott finally spoke, his eyes still on the double doors Jake had just left from, "I think it was."

"What do you mean? We didn't find out anything from him." Isaac furrowed his brows at him.

Keeping his eyes on the door, Scott questioned, "Do you remember the two werewolves in the alley the other night?"

"Yeah the young one and the one you said you had the scent of?" Stiles asked, still unsure of where Scott was going with this.

Slowly, scott lifted his eyes to meet his friends, a serious expression on his face, "It was Jake."

(Every damn time I try to type "Scott" I end up typing "Scoot". Also let's not mention how I keep changing Adelinas name, from "Addie" to "Adi" and now "Ady". I'm gonna hopefully stick with the last one and I might go through all the chapters and change it.

Anyway I've finally got a bunch of ideas for some plot points so be ready for them. Thankyou guys :) )