Chapter 4

Pewds 

Okay. So I may have started to follow Cry around a bit. But I am not stalking. It's more... observing. It was by pure coincidence that I followed him home the other day. It was also a coincidence that I ran into him at the park yesterday. Edgar wanted another walk. That was what I told him any way.

I just couldn't help it. He brought out the curiosity in me. He never took his mask off. It must have been so hot under it with the summer sun, but he didn't seem to even budge it. I wondered if he slept with it on. Did it have a purpose? Despite the hidden face, he seemed to be tense around others. A bit like me in a sense but he didn't even like to be touched. If people stared at him for too long, he would go any where to get away from them.

We talked when I found the courage to walk over to him. He would pet Edgar and we would discuss random things. Our conversations never had much of a topic, but it was fun. I found out he likes sweet things and has never got drunk before, so I started bringing some chocolates or candies if the weather was too hot. We always sat on a bench near the kids park. Which led me to discover that he enjoyed watching the families playing together.

He was definitely an odd ball, but I liked him. It didn't take long for my heart to feel empty without him with me. It was a strange feeling. I don't know why, but I wanted him with me all of the time. I wonder why that was.

It was soon the summer holidays, and college was over for the year. I only had one more year to go and then I would finally be over with the long course. But what was even better was that I got to see Cry more.

At least I thought so.

The park was full now that all of the kids were out. I didn't particularly like the extra amount of people, and neither did Cry, it seems. No matter what time I went out to walk Edgar, he wasn't there. I started to go out less and less. The one day that I had decided to stay at home instead of walking amongst the noisy kids, was when Kathy came over. She looked agitated and wouldn't let me touch her. Edgar barked as usual but he seemed to be trying to get out.

They wanted me to go somewhere.

"Look, not today Edgar," I say, "he's not going to be there anyway." I went to sit back down but they wouldn't stop. So instead I got dressed and hooked Edgar's lead on his collar.

"Fine. You want to go that badly." We left and Kathy joined us. I went to go the usual route at the park, but when I let Edgar off, he and Kathy ran off in a different direction. I sighed and rubbed my temples.

"Javla helvete! Edgar!" I yell after him and start walking that way. I swore to myself to keep him on the lead for a while. The woodland was much thicker here. Hedges were severely overgrown and the trees seem to go on forever.

Just how big was this park?

"Edgar!" His bark was loud and fast in the distance. He seemed almost panicked. There are other voices... teenagers? Edgar yelps and I run towards his sounds. I run through the bushes and come out into a small area. Edgar is standing and growling at a group of young teenagers. They were laughing and swinging at him. Thankfully he wasn't stupid enough to take them on. A couple of them had large sticks and were using them as weapons.

"Hey!" I shout at them, getting their attention. One of them moves and I see them holding something white. I looked closer and saw the face drawn on the front.

Oh god... Cry!

Flashes of people fly through my mind. Too fast to get a grasp on it, but they were hurt... An instant dread courses through my veins. What if Cry was hurt?

"What do you think you're doing?" I storm towards them and the one holding Cry's mask moves back a little. "How dare you?" I'm angry. Too angry.

Cry