Chapter 5

Cry

I wake up in solemn silence. My place was empty. Kathy was asleep on top of me, purring quite happily from her dreams.

What happened?

I'm in the living room. It was dark. It must be night. Why was I here?

Oh... Yeah...

The group of boys. They had seen my mask. They had tore it off...

I raise my hand to my face, finding the smooth surface still in it's place. But they had took it? Was it a dream?

I slid my hand under the mask.

"Ow!" My face stung like a bitch! I slowly get up, gently putting Kathy on the pillow. I stand and walk to the bathroom. After a deep breath and three failed attempts, I lifted my mask.

Shit.

My right cheek was swollen and purple. They must have hit me pretty hard. I sigh and lower my mask to once again cover it.

What is that?

I ran my finger along four red smudges. A hand print? But, was that blood? A flash of memory from the woodland. Pewds. He was there. He had helped me home. He... put my mask back on. He helped me. Was he hurt? Was this blood his? I hoped to God that it wasn't. He had fought the boys. They must have been over 15 and there were at least four of them. He had fought to protect me. And all I did was cower in fear. A sudden anger came over me. I'm so fucking weak! I can't do anything. Why? Why did my father have to be such a twisted dick? I punched the mirror. With a crash the whole thing shattered, shards of glass fell to the floor. My clenched fist bloody and sore.

I fall to the floor and hold my head in my hands. Kathy had heard the commotion and was sat at the doorway. I grit my teeth as tears stream down my face. I sob on the floor, in the quiet room. I hate my life.

A small mew from the doorway. I look over to see Kathy scratching the carpet by the door. She won't come in. She's too smart to come into a place with broken glass on the floor.

"Sorry Kathy, I- I really want to alone right now." She seemed to understand. But instead of leaving she laid down where she was and fell asleep. I try to wipe the tears away, but they won't stop coming. I can't stop crying. My hand hurts, my face hurts, my chest aches. What did I do to deserve this? I gripped my hair and curled up tight, resting my head on my knees as the tears kept falling. The inside of my mask was wet, but I didn't care. I just wanted the pain to end. I grabbed a piece of glass. I hadn't done this in years. It had been a while since I had put blade to skin. The scars will never go. I was so angry. Before I knew it I had dug the corner of the sharp glass into my arm. My blood flowed out and trickled down, dropping onto my trousers. Red blood. Even cowards bleed red. I was gripping the shard so tightly that my palm had started to bleed too. My blood was on the floor, on my trousers, over my shirt. I hadn't gone deep enough for it to be fatal. But the cuts bled enough. I dropped the shard and curled back up. Sobbing in the darkness, surrounded by the broken glass. A bit like my soul.

Pewds

I was so worried about Cry that for the whole day I was dropping cans, breaking shelves and bumping into customers. Minx was able to cover up most of the mistakes, but I still got a slap on the wrist from the manager.

"What's wrong, Pewds?" Minx sat across from me. It was lunch time. Only just half way through the day and already I had made so many fuck ups.

"I'm sorry, I'm just distracted." I reply, taking a bite from my salad sandwich.

"I can see that. But what's bothering you?" I sigh and put down the sandwich. I was too worried to be hungry. "You can tell me anything you know." She was concerned. I could see that in her face.