18. A Day With Mr. Gray

Ok so I made one last cover and to be honest its my favorite one!

P.S. Brace yourself for this chapter...
____

Chapter 18

A Day With Mr. Gray

Paige~

Mommy and I never went upstairs. That meant that to see us, everyone had to come down here to see us. The first person to come was Mr. Gray. Then it was Mr. America, Mr. Smart, and Mr. Loud. Mr. No-manners was the last to one.

"You know the soul reason for the common room was- well actually it's exactly for this." He said motioning to everyone sitting around.

"Since Nat refuses to leave this room we might as well had come to her." Mr. Gray said from his perch on the arm chair. It was then my lost puppy ran out of the bedroom.

 It was then my lost puppy ran out of the bedroom

"Puppy!" I exclaimed running to chase him.

Natasha~

I was mentally and physically exhausted. I was too tired to put up my mask and walk into a room of friends. Even if I keep my mask down I'd be too tired to move. But because of the people they are, they came to me. And I didn't have to put my mask up. They didn't question my fatigue.

"Nat." Clint said catching my attention. "Go ahead and get some sleep. We'll watch Paige." He promised. I simply nodded and walked to the bedroom. I opened the door and closed it just as quick. The sound of the door closing caught the attention of the others. The attention I was trying to avoid. I motioned them to come and not bother Paige who was playing happily with her unnamed puppy.

I opened the door and heard a string of whispered curses from each of them.

"Forget the aliens, this is the end of the world." Bruce muttered.

What used to be Mr. Goodbear was torn to shreds and the stuffing was everywhere. I had to agree with Bruce. Ive never witnessed Paige throwing a tantrum but they had.

"Mommy?" The men moved out of the doorway and I was able to close the door before she walked in. "What's wrong?" She asked.

"That little one made a little mess in there." I said not lying to the small child.

"What'd he do?"

"He pooped. Everywhere, it's disgusting." Paige scrunched up her nose in disgust. As cute as it was nothing could lighten the mood at the moment. Only fake and nervous smiles were given.

"You know your puppy could use a walk. How about Mr. Gray takes you to the park?" I suggested.

"Okay, I'll go get Mr. Goodbear. His fur needs some sunlight." She said stepping to the door.

"You don't hear him snoring? He's knocked out! You should let him sleep and by the time you get back he'll be wide awake." Clint said. I allowed myself to grin. Paige nodded slowly as if she was suspicious of what was going on. She wasn't clueless she would naturally be skeptical about this. "Alright, let's go we're burning daylight."

//

Paige~

Mommy only ever took me to the park once and I got sick. It's a teeny bit warmer now so we should be fine. Mr. Gray told me and Puppy to go and play and he would sit on the bench. Puppy and I played fetch and I tried to teach him a few tricks. None of them worked but he still enjoyed the belly rubs. I looked back at Mr. Gray and saw him talking to two women who weren't there before. He looked a teeny bit uncomfortable.

Puppy and I then chased a squirrel up a tree. I tried to get Mr. Squirrel to come back down but I think Puppy scared him off. I looked back at Mr. Gray to see three more women talking to him. He looked just as uncomfortable as he did moments ago.

Puppy and I played fetch again but then my throwing hand got tired. I began walking up to Mr. Gray when I heard two other kids shout.

"Mommy! Daddy!" And run up to their parents. The group of women giggled while Mr. Gray laughed nervously... He must not want to be in this particular situation.

I glanced back at the other kids who were walking away with their parents before running up to Mr. Gray.

"Daddy! Will you come push me on the swings before we leave. Mommy said to be home by nap time." Out of the six people Mr. Gray was the first to recover.

"Sure sweetie, and you are absolutely right. It's past nap time." Mr. Gray got up from his seat surrounded by middle aged women and held my hand as we walked over to the swings. Once we were out of earshot he said to me; "I owe you big time, Kid."

"Only if you say so." I said with a bright smile. He pushed me a few times on the swings and then Mr. Gray, Puppy, and I left the park. Mr. Gray buckled me into the car and Puppy sat in the seat next to me. Mr. Gray was on the phone so we had to wait before we could leave.

Clint~

"How's it going over there?" I asked while talking to Nat on the phone. Paige and the puppy were walking ahead of me and I watched.

"Well we managed to find a look alike teddy bear and we are now proceeding to switch out some of the stuffing with that of her old teddy bear. How's it going on your end?" Natasha asked.

"The kid is smart, got me out of a risky situation. We are finished at the park and now I'm trying to figure out what we should do now." I refused to say anything more about the 'risky situation'.

"Uhh take her out for ice cream, buy something for her and the puppy. We need to keep her out of her for at least another hour."

"Copy that." So first was the ice cream parlor and next was Petsmart where we got reprimanded for not having the puppy on a leash. I got Paige and Puppy matching T-shirts. I got puppy some treats and even a collar with a name tag... That said Puppy.

"Ok, so just to be clear the puppy's name is Puppy?" Paige nodded enthusiastically. "What inspired you to name him that?" She shrugged.

"What else was I suppose name him?" She asked. I didn't dare comment but I definitely had a lot of thoughts. The kid has a gift for nicknames so who am I to say anything. "Mr. Gray do I have a daddy too?" The little girl asked me. I bit my lip. This came out of nowhere. This wasn't a question for me, this was a question for Natasha.

"I'm sorry Paige you are going to have to ask your mother about that one." I said scratching the back of my head.

"Why can't you answer it?" She asked with an adorable head tilt. I sighed before crouching down to her level.

"There are a lot of kids with only a mom or only a dad. Some kids have both their parents and some of them have none. Maybe one day you'll have a mom and a dad but right now I'm not sure that's the case." I told her softly. She nodded in understanding.

"Okay so now what do we do?" She asked. I looked into her beautiful but tired eyes.

"Are you ready to go home?" I asked. She nodded and I stood. I took her hand and we took a few steps before...

"Wait!" I stopped and looked down at her. "When mommy and I play pretend I get to be a princess so can you pretend to be my daddy if I don't get a real one?" At this moment the worse thing I could've done was say "no" and we could continue walking. I am actually a human being despite what Nat says while lecturing me in Russian. So instead I scooped her up in my arms and looked her straight into her crystal blue eyes.

"I would love to play pretend."

_______

Alright so a little bit of heartbreak and a lottle(not a typo) bit of cuteness.

R.I.P. Mr. Goodbear. Should I bring him back or is Paige too old for teddy bears?