1. The Little Girl

Chapter 1

The Little Girl

Paige~

I was walking back home with my teddy bear, Mr. Goodbear. It was getting late and it isn't safe on the streets. I named my teddy bear Mr. Teddy Goodbear because he's always been such a good teddy bear. It was still pretty bright and sunny this afternoon here in Washington DC, the wind had a nice soft breeze to it and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I just left the bakery that gives me biscuits and milk. Thats what I eat and drink now. As I walked I saw a lady with red hair, leaning against a shiny black car. I was being polite and greeted her.

"Hello!" I said with a smile. She didn't give me a big smile but she did give me a small grin.

"Hi there. What are you doing out here all alone?" She asks me, putting a lock of red hair behind her ear.

"It's alright I'm going home" I smile and waved goodbye before going into the alley where my box was. It smells weird sometimes, but it protects me from the rain and no one can find me when I sleep here.

I hear footsteps after I sit down in the box. I try not to look and just hug Mr. Goodbear and wrap myself with Blanket. It's not always safe here. There was one time two men came here and almost kidnapped me. I was okay after that though. Someone stopped them and I ran back to my box.

There was a shadow and it came closer. When it stopped, the red haired women was crouched down in front of me. She looked at me with a concerned face. I wonder why that is.

"I thought you were going home" she said calmly and slowly.

"I am home. This is my box, I live here with Mr. Goodbear and Blanket. Mr. Goodbear tells me jokes and Blanket keeps me warm" She looked at me with a worried look in her eyes. She sniffed and her face scrunched up in disgust.

"This box is molding and you smell awful, how long have you been here?" She asks. I'm not sure what molding means, but I hope it isn't too bad.

"I'm not sure ma'am. I know that I'm either four, five, or six though. Mr. Goodbear always keeps track of my birthday" I say, giving Mr. Goodbear a hug.

"It's not safe here, you know that?" She asked me with slightly stern look on her face.

"I know, but the mean lady at the orphanage told me to get out and never come back" I shrugged.

"Would you like to have a bath?" She asked. "My house isn't too far from here."

"I haven't had a bath in a long time, will there be bubbles?" I ask.

"As many as you want" She says. I nod my head and she helps me out of the box. We walk to the shiny black car and she straps me into the back seat.

"Um, Ms. Red? What does molding mean?" I asked.

%%%%%%