2. Ms. Red

Chapter 2

Ms. Red

Natasha~

I was a little shocked when the little girl was walking on her own in the streets. I was more than shocked when that little girl told me that the box was her home. It hurt a lot to know that a five year old lives in an alley in a molding box with nothing, but a teddy bear and a blanket.

If she was kicked out of an orphanage there is no doubt she's an orphan. I don't know what to do really. She seems sweet and all, but i should probably take her to the hospital after her bath. That mold looks like it's been there for a while and I don't want her to be sick, if she isn't already.

When we arrived at my apartment I had her sit in the living room while I ran warm water, putting enough soap to make bubbles. I told her that i would give 'Mr. Goodbear' and 'Blanket' a special bath. I don't know why, but It didn't feel right tell her that I was putting them in the washing machine.

When the bath was ready I helped her strip down and step into the bath. She didn't seem least bit concerned I was there. She also didn't seem worried about whether or not I was a bad person. It wasn't bad- well it is if she trusts people too easily. Some people aren't to be trusted in a world like this.

I watched as she played with the bubbles in the tub. Her crystal blue eyes lit up when she blew the bubbles off of her hand. Under all of that filth she was a beautiful little girl.

"Let's wash your hair now" I say, she nods in agreement and I grab the shampoo.

//

Since I didn't have any clothes to give her i pulled a white t-shirt out of one of my drawers and slipped it over her head. It was pretty big on her, but until her 'clothes' get washed, she'll have to wear my clothes. We were in the kitchen and I began to debate on food.

"You hungry?" I ask.

"Yes ma'am!" She says enthusiastically. I chuckled and grabbed the phone. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not the best cook, or at least I don't think so, and the last thing I want to give to a homeless child is a crappy dinner.

"So what's your name?" I ask realizing she hasn't given me one.

"Paige, what's your name Ms. Red?" She asks.

"Natasha, but you can call me Tasha or Ms. Red if you want" I grinned.

"Okay Tasha, what's for dinner?" Her adorable voice asked.

"Do you like pizza?" I ask.

"Yeah! It's that bread and cheese and sauce right?" I nod. How long has she been out there, I wonder. I dial the number and order the food. We had a silly conversation while we waited and then the phone rung.

"I'll be right back" I left the room and answered the phone. "Romanoff" I said quietly but loud enough for the person on the other line to hear.

"I ask you to meet me for lunch, I get there, an hour later I'm still waiting." Clints voice said.

"Sorry, something came up." I said, peering into the kitchen.

"Anyway, Fury needs us at SHIELD" I sighed. That's the last thing I need right now.

"I'm busy, plus I still have 2 more months off" I said.

"He said now, tash. It's important" Wow, really knows how to get on someone's nerve.

"Fine," I hung up and went back to where Paige was. She was sitting at the table staying put. I took note of how much cleaner she looked. The doorbell rang and she perked up. "That'll be the food" I said going to answer the door. I paid the man and closed the door afterwards. I sat the pizza box on the kitchen table and pulled out two plates.

About an hour later, Paige had gotten through 3 slices of pizza and I had only gotten through 2. There is so much I want to ask her and a lot that I need to know about her, but it doesn't seem right to ask her, I thought. I quit contemplating and finally asked her.

"So where is this orphanage you got kicked out of?" I asked. She didn't seem fazed by the question and only shifted a little before answering.

"Are you planning to take me back there?" She asked calmly. My eyes widened and I shook my head.

"No, of course not!" I said.

"Umm, I forgot the name, but I know that it's 4 blocks from the bakery." She shrugged. Curiosity crossed my mind again.

"Do you wanna tell me why you got kicked out?" i asked.

"I spilled cereal on myself on accident and then she screamed at me telling me to get out. At first she seems nice, but then she's really mean" who is 'She'? and why would someone get mad at a child for something like that?

"She sounds pretty mean, why don't you stay here with me for a little while?" I suggested. Her eyes lit up and she nodded eagerly. After cleaning up the plates and putting them into the sink I put her clothes, blanket, and teddy bear in the dryer. Hopefully she can wear her clothes one more time before I can actually buy some new ones for her.

I managed to find a movie age appropriate for her, and we watched it until she fell asleep. It was a little after ten so I guess I can expect her to fall asleep by this time. I turned off the TV and carried her up to the spare bedroom. I got her blanket and teddy bear out of the dryer. They were both warm and clean so I put the teddy bear next to her and put the blanket over her small body.

"Goodnight" I whispered and went down the stairs grabbing my keys and driving down to the orphanage to exchange a few words with the person that owns it.

Paige~

"Goodnight Mommy."

%%%%%%