Return of the Mack

How will we be remembered? Will it be for saving the world twice? Nope, we're the team who broke time. That's right, history has been torn to shreds which means, it's up to us to put it back together piece by piece. Fixing these so called anachronisms before we get torn to shreds. So please, don't call us heroes, We're Meowgends.

_________

"Mmm, delightful," the professor hummed, savoring his grapefruit.

"Let me get this straight. This ship can make any kind of food you can imagine, and you four picked grapefruit, a bran muffin, sandwich, and oatmeal?" Zari questioned in disbelief.

"After you try everything, you go back to the basics," Sara shrugged.

"I lived my whole life eating rations and bland food. From now on, I eat like a queen," Zari declared, setting a towering stack of pancakes down on the table and tossing a piece toward me, which I happily munched on.

"I'm glad you left 2042," Amaya smiled at Zari.

"Actually, I wanted to talk to you guys about going back to 2042. Or better yet, 2041. I was thinking, 'Why is my family dead when I'm on a time machine?'" Zari said.

"Unfortunately, that's not how this works," Sara interrupted.

"I thought you could change the past?" Zari asked, confused.

"We can correct the past. And the future, but we don't change it," Nyssa clarified.

"Why not?" Zari pressed.

"Because doing so could cause unforeseen, possibly even disastrous consequences. It's a temporal butterfly effect, if you will," the professor explained.

"Try not doing something that would save your brother's life," Zari said, her voice wavering.

"Does a sister count?" Sara whispered, sharing a meaningful look with Nyssa.

"Wassaaaaaaa, shipmates? I've got exciting news to share. Team meeting in ten minutes. And, Mick, I have beer," Nate's voice crackled through the intercom.

I jumped down from the counter, my half-eaten fish still in my muzzle, and made my way to the bridge, eager to see what Nate's big news was.

______

"One lousy beer for breakfast" Mick grumbled, eyeing Nate.

"It's breakfast?" Nate whispered back, his caffeine-fueled energy evident.

"Yeah, what time did you go to bed last night, buddy?" Ray asked, concern lacing his voice.

"I didn't. Drank a lot of coffee. Can you tell? Whoo!" Nate exclaimed, bouncing up and down.

"Nate, why are we staring at an anachronism map?" Sara asked, cutting straight to the point.

"Because, Captain, I did a deep dive on the data. The anachronisms we created at first glance seem scattershot... random. But since history is cause and effect, I decided to do a little experiment. I folded a linear timeline onto itself following the mathematics of the golden ratio," Nate explained, gesturing toward the hologram.

"Damn it, Gideon. That was your cue," Nate sighed.

"My apologies, Dr. Heywood," Gideon's voice came through the intercom, pulling up the anachronism map.

"Ah, see, the anachronisms form a pattern," Nate pointed at the map.

"Should have guessed. Though time may be broken, like all matter in the known universe, it still possesses a mathematical harmony," the professor exclaimed.