October 15, 1996: Part III

"There's always some stupid, bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend."

The video store was packed. Dozens of Woodsboro residents roamed the stores' aisles. Most flocked to the horror section as Mary Shelly's Frankenstein played on the stores' T.V.

    Randy drifted on a plastic rolling cart that held returned VHS tapes into a relatively small aisle. He almost crashed into a couple as they left.

"Watch it, jerk."

"I'm sorry," He apologized with indifference.

    Stu snuck up behind him as he watched the shorter of the two stack tapes onto his hand. He waited until Randy was about to turn around to knock the tapes out of his hand. Stu stuck his tongue out at him and walked to the other side of the aisle, which resembled a small shelf.

"Dork," Randy called him without spite.

    Stu laughed and surveyed the store, "Jesus, this place is packed tonight, man." He put his elbows on top of the shelf.

    Rather than picking up the tapes on the ground, Randy grabbed more from the cart. "We had a run in the mass murder section."

    Stu leaned over, propping his head with one of his arms, "Coming to my fiesta?"

"Yeah, I'm off early. Curfew, y'know."

    A customer went up to Randy and asked him a simple question. He instructed them where to locate a specific movie and noticed something. He glanced back at Stu and did a double-take.

"Oh, now that's in poor taste."

Stu looked over to what Randy was staring at, "What?"

Billy stood in front of the horror category, talking to two blonde girls.

"If you were the only suspect in a senseless bloodbath, would you be standing in the horror section?"

Stu gazed at Billy again before looking back at Randy. "Well, it was just a misunderstanding. He didn't do anything." He tilted his head in Billy's direction.

"You're such a little lap dog. He's got 'killer' printed all over his forehead!" Randy exclaimed.

Their conversation became exponentially louder.

"Ohhh-kay!" Stu walked further down the aisle, closer for Billy to hear. "Really? Then why did the cops let him go, smart guy?"

"Because obviously, they don't watch enough movies. This is standard horror movie stuff. Prom Night revisited, man."

Stu raised his eyebrows, "Yeah? Why would he wanna kill his own girlfriend?"

"There's always some stupid bullshit reason to kill your girlfriend." A distant police siren could be heard. "That's the beauty of it all: simplicity. Besides, if it gets too complicated, you lose your audience."

"Well, what's his reason," Stu asked, alluding to Billy.

Suddenly Randy spoke quieter, "Maybe Sidney wouldn't have sex with him."

Stu snickers, "What? Is she saving herself for you?" He referred to Randy's glaring crush on Sid.

"Maybe. Now that Billy tried to mutilate her, do you think Sid would go out with me?" Randy got his hopes up only for Stu to roar with laughter, directly in his face.

His face fell as Stu looked at him, deadpan.

"No, I don't at all. No," He said straightforwardly. Stu lowered his voice, "You know who I think it is? Y'know, I think it's their father. Why can't they find their pops, man?"