October 15, 1996

TW: mention of s/a

"...how does it feel to almost be brutally butchered?"

Seated in the dining room were you, Sidney, and Tatum. The three of you are dressed and ready to make do with the school day. Milk had already been set on the table as Ms. Riley grabbed the cereal. It was only the beginning of the week, but all you could look forward to was for the weekdays to pass by.

    The T.V propped on the kitchen counter, facing the dining table, was turned on and broadcasting a news station.

    "Sidney and Y/N Prescott, who escaped a vicious attack last night, are the children of Maureen Prescott, who was brutally killed last year when convicted Cotton Weary broke into their home and savagely raped and tortured the deceased. Cotton Weary is currently awaiting appeal for the death sentence handed down after the young Sidney testified against him. She was the key witness in the state's case against the..."

    Dewey heard enough and turned off the television before the news anchor could continue. With the anniversary of your mother's death, he didn't think the two of you should be subjected to more media of the like. Especially after your encounter with Gale Weathers just last night.

    Tatum chewed on her lip as Dewey joined the three of you, sitting at the table.

    "It's never gonna stop, is it?" Sidney says, nervously laughing.

    "Billy was released. His cellular bill was clean. He didn't make those calls," Dewey informs. "We're checking every cellular account in the county. Any calls made to either of you or Casey Becker are being cross-referenced. It's gonna take some time, but we'll find him."

    Tatum weakly punches Sid's shoulder in an attempt to cheer her up, "Okay?"

    Dewey's car sirens played as he drove all three of you to school. It was obnoxious and garnered the attention of nearly everyone around. At least you and Sid didn't have to ride the bus and be bombarded by questions and concern. Everything had been strangely reminiscent of last year. The long, drawn-out hours spent at the police station. All of the reporters that had swarmed to you and Sidney for an exclusive interview. All of the knowing stares in any public setting. All of the hushed whispers in the school hallways. All of the awkward sympathetic speeches from adults.

    You can't quite pinpoint when things started going back to normal and when people started treating your family as human beings instead of a spectacle. Strange to think it's practically been a year since your mother's passing. You didn't want to go through another year of your family, including you, being in the limelight yet outcasted.

    You all step out of the car, hoping for a regular school day just like any other.

    "Don't worry, kids, it's school. You're safe here."

Immediately after Dewey states that a reporter comes up to Sid, shoving a microphone in her face. "So, how does it feel to almost be brutally butchered?"

Dewey shields you and Sid away from the reporter, giving the three of you a chance to flee the situation. "Hey! Hey, now leave them alone."

"People wanna know. They have the right to know! How does it feel?" The reporter retaliates, calling out to you and Sid while Dewey holds her back.

"They just want to get an education. Turn that thing off."

Sid spots the Top Story news van and stops in her tracks. She lifts both your and Tatum's wrist to draw the attention of both of you. Tatum looks between her limp wrist and Sidney, confused. "What?"