chapter 11

Jameelah

"Meelah!" I heard Haleemah called out my name excitedly.

As much as I secretly loved the way she called me with an Indian accent, I hated the call right now.

"Guess what? Sarah is getting married. Oh Allah I can't believe this" she screeched.

Sarah was her best friend, a child from a village whom hajja took in and nurtured into a woman. It's unbelievable how I now admire the same person I didn't care about before.

I had grown to admire Sarah. She's strong, intense, didn't have the luxury I have but she still manage to stun people. But she and I are polar opposite. She like to work, I'll rather relax and be at home., I should be pampered, I'm a lady. Whether in my father's house or in my husband's house, I'm entitled to being taken care of.

But I felt worse at the news. Rumours will start growing stronger that the Aliyy's don't marry early, given that none of the 'Aliyy daughters is married. Sarah was as much considered an 'Aliyy. Our father is her father figure.

Haleemah is thick skinned. People's useless rumors don't disturb her. But I'm not Haleemah.

And my current situation is just bad. No one have an idea but wallah I'm in deep trouble.

"Congratulations to her" I said smugly and turned my back to Haleemah.

"Hey sis" she called out coming closer.

I gave her a brief look and turned to my phone.

"What is wrong with you these days? I have been asking you several times but you dismiss me each time. I don't know what is wrong with you but you need to get it in your head that I ask you and talk to you because I am your sister and I care about you. I don't even care how you treat me like we are enemies, but don't make me feel bad mopping around for days like you are in mourning. If you are not going to spill what's up with you then get your acts together!"

She gave me a long look seeing I was just watching her like a child throwing a sudden tantrum. Then she shake her head and muttered "I'm done here"

"Who's she getting angry at? Telling someone my problem is my issue and I have the right to choose who" I reasoned aloud.

But I sank into my chair. I knew even if it's to blackmail her, Haleemah has to help me out of my misery. I'm just looking for a way. Because I want it to be so that she can't say no even if she's not okay with it.

I didn't see her again that day and she even refused to sleep in our room. As much as I wished to deny it, Haleemah is really angry with me this time around.

Have I pushed her too much?

But what did I do so wrong? It's my choice not to share my burden with her.

***

I hasten my footsteps and met Haleemah almost in her car albeit focussed on whatever it is she's listening to in her earpod, she didn't even notice me until I reached her.

It's just 7am in the morning for goodness sake, but my sister is off to work.

She gave me a passive look and said "Assalamu alaikum sis, I'm off to work. Sai na dawo" didn't even wait for my answer.

What? What just happened?

I just knew then. That the Haleemah I knew until yesterday had changed. She will no longer tolerate all she used to tolerate from me.

When she came back home in the evening, she went straight to shower ignoring my presence after her usual salaam. I waited for her. I was desperate of her help. Or I may have another way around it. I just needed to talk to her.

Abbah called me to his room yesterday, and a certain someone had refused to call my phone. And I can't summon the courage to call him. Before anything blow up, I need Haleemah's help.

"I didn't tell anyone to send his parents, I only told some guys who had been pestering me to see my father if they are serious. I think it's Haleemah" that was what I told dad yesterday and he had looked at me quizzically and dismissed me. It was as though he knew.

So I need to dissipate his doubts by doing what I was supposed to do originally. Hopefully, things can return to their original state.

"I have something for you, Haleemah" she stopped in her strides and faced me. I allowed her to finish all her business and get ready to sleep before starting.

"You can scroll down" I told her as I handed her my iPad.

"Mudathir Muhammad Bichi, a civil engineer and a contractor. Earnings is about a two hundred thousand naira per month. Age thirty one, and single. Hobbies include sports and travelling. He practices pottery and is a culture sucker. He..."

"What do I do with his information?" She asked looking at me squarely. I squirmed.

I've begin to like Mudathir but I knew he only breathes for Haleemah. I would be a fool to think he can love me. He thinks I am Haleemah all this while and I had to portray qualities that aren't mine.

"He likes you. And asked me to seek your favour for him"

I held my heart on my palms waiting for an answer that would both make me and shatter me. Mudathir's parents have sent their message to dad already so is she to say yes now and she's getting hitched to him in a few months.

I won't have to explain anything to him or dad and things would go smoothly.

But I'll be left with the resonance of his voice in my ears as he whispers sweet dreams to me every night. I'll miss him terribly. Maybe I deserve it.

"I know him, he's a good man. Can you try to give him a chance?"

"Jameelah, tell him I'm not interested." She said and I went numb.

"And Jameelah, let this be the last time you do this. You know I'm not interested" she warned strongly and left to bed. When I raised my head the white sheet was covering her frame letting her sleep like a sleeping beauty. She is indeed a sleeping beauty because I've watched her sleeping face for years.

As if on cue, right then my phone rang and Allah knows my heart flew away for a moment before it came back to me.

I know who it was before picking. It's Mudathir. I had a special ringtone for his line.

I was too shocked to pick the first time, so when it rang again, I picked it up saying a du'a for safety. Not that he can harm me through his phone, but his words held the power that can shatter me.

"Hauwa'u Jameelah!" He called before I speak a word and I froze. Why so straight?

"Get ready to marry me." Was all he said before he ended the call.

I'm doomed. Or not.

***

Well, well, well...

There we have it.
What are your thoughts on HLS?

Who is your favorite character so far?(I don't have any yet)

One piece of advice to Jameelah..

Pls vote, comment and share.
Tell your friends to give HLS a chance please.