Chapter 30 *enemies in friends*

Mujahid

"Has anyone heard from K nasir of recent" Fauzan asked everyone from his seat.

There's supposed to be a bachelor's eve on the groom's side and the bride's siblings have been invited. So everyone was waiting for the time to click so we can get going.

Everyone being I, Mudathir, Dan-Ma'aji, Mansur bulama, Abdullahi rano, and three other good time friends from different walks of life.

We were all seated in the parking space away from the noise in the main house, having fun and chatting away. It's just a day to khairat's wedding and everywhere is as noisy and bubbly as it can get. But I'm not even feeling the wedding vibes again.

How I was thinking that Haleemah could attend this wedding was beyond my imagination. When Hajja arrived without her yesterday, the whole enthusiasm I had developed over a short period of time for this wedding had dissipated. I was down the whole day.

"It's been almost two years anyone heard from him, Fauzan" Mudathir answered him.

Dan-Ma'aji scoffed and turned his attention back to his phone. It was much expected.

"Mujahid, are you sure you haven't talked to him lately"

I waited to chew the piece of sugarcane I had just cut into my mouth before answering him. I hated any disturbance when I'm enjoying anything edible, he knows. Heck! Everyone knows.

And to think he was asking me about K Nasir, I'm really starting to get annoyed.

"Who is K nasir?" Was my way of answering and everyone busted into fits of laughs.

But really, who is he again?

The last time anyone heard from him, he warned us not to contact him again and no one did. Dan-ma'aji was the closest to him but the warning actually came through him.

I do not do friends who hate to be corrected. We are human after all, which means we are bound to make mistakes.

The problem is not willing to accept the mistakes. I find it hard to keep being friends with such people.

Human beings can never be always right!

Togetherness in hardship and goodness is what friends means to me.

In other words, I should be able to condemn my friends if they are wrong and vice versa.

But K nasir followed a 45 years old sugar babe out of the country. And he refused to give any listening ears to any advice given to him.

"But Mujahid, he just posted that he's on his way to Nigeria for the wedding"

I stiffened.

Khalid Nasir has always had a huge crush on khairat and at some point, I really thought he may end up marrying her. Because who was I to go against such intense love.

"Ya mana uban me a bikin?¹" Dan-ma'aji asked, enraged.

Mansur snorted and said "kuma fa khalid ya so khairat fa. Kutt! K square for life²"

"Let me see the post" I managed to ask.

There was his picture on the plane with the caption 'off to a sister's wedding. Mujahid, I hope my outfit is ready'.

And he tagged all of us so we can see it.

"Is Khalid for real?" I asked no one in particular. But I knew what I was seeing was real. Khalid is on his way back to Nigeria after two years.

I was a bit concerned because it is Khalid. He was always one to act impulsively and irresponsibly. And to think he's been away for two years, I really can't say what he's thinking.

"He must be kidding himself" Mudathir announced and there was silence afterwards.

With everyone thinking about whatever.

*

"Mujahid, please I'll have to send you back again"

I was really about to protest that I wouldn't but knowing I couldn't really refuse mum, I kept quiet. It's just a few hours to the wedding fatiha but I'm still out and about.

"I'll need you to pick up Hajiya Aisha and her daughter. Please, I have sent the driver out and I was the one who asked her to get me somethings personally from Zaria, it'll be a hassle to expect her to ride a rickshaw back home from the station. Someone needs to pick her up." She explained but I was still unsatisfied.

To think it was Haseenah and her mother, it's definitely fishy.

"It's for khair okay, just help me. Also, get me some mint notes from the bank on your way..."

And that was it. Unable to argue anymore, I started off to Zaria road.

Being the bride's elder brother, I didn't know I'd be this worn out and tired.

"Yaya Muj!" She called in a voice that sounds too high to my ears and I swallowed willing to summon all the hometraining Mama gave me as a gentleman. Is my name that bad that people have to look for alternatives.

Hajiya Aisha and her daughter! It's a phrase that travels long and wide among the Bichi's. Everyone always has a story tied to them. And mine isn't really a pleasant one.

But then, who has a pleasant story to tell regarding them. I don't think there'd ever be.

"Yaya Muj, finally! Muna ta jira tun dazu³"

I busied myself trying to get someone to help me load my luggage to the back of my car in an attempt not to greet or answer. The voice is making me cringe. I'm going to avoid answering as long as I could.

When I finished loading, I head back in my car and ignite it back to life. But what?

Hajiya aisha stood where she is pretending to be deeply impressed in whatever it is she was looking at across the road. It meant one thing, she's demanding for the attention I starved her when I arrived.

The customary greeting!

If it was any other day, I could play along. But it's my sister's wedding day!

And who knew how important these things are to the wedding. I wouldn't ruin it for the two pieces of trash among the bichi's.

So I found myself crouching in front of her telling her that we could head back now if there's nothing she's waiting for. And yeah! That solved the problem.

But it's a huge bruise on my ego.

******

A million apologies to everyone. I have no words to defend myself just that please bear with me kawae.

Life happened.

And we all know how it can be.

I'm sorry, people.

Here is a double update though. I hope it appease you.

Mi'ah...