Chapter 13- Meeting Nadeer

Haleemah

I was getting impatient. Nothing seems to work my way today. I was just returning from a meeting with Mr Nasir Maje who had declined to be a guest on a program I'm hosting in a very unfriendly manner. I had no idea if it had to do with I being the host or just the program. He sure had issues, that I'm very sure.

Now I have to look for a replacement. Or I will have to handle the next session myself. I may just decide to host a question session. To think I had sent an invitation to him since ten days ago. Anyway, it's his loss.

Then the whole Yola state woke up today to a fuel scarcity that got me stranded here on ring road, twenty-five minutes before I reached our area. I couldn't refuel in the morning else I'll be late for work because of the long queue and now even though I was battling with stomach cramps, I still had to wait for a few hours before it's my turn.

Then all of a sudden, they announced that the fuel has finished and that everyone should come back the next day.

I sighed, perturbed.

Today is sure a bad day. I'll have to leave my car here because there's no way I can get myself home in it with the amount of fuel remaining in it.

Should I get a small quantity from those sellers by the road or I should just go home and tell one of my brothers my misery. I debated within myself.

A spicy oud assailed my nostrils before I heard a sharp minty voice saying the salaam.

"Miss Haleemah!"He stated.

"Let's go. They seem to have decided to get some people stranded today. There's somewhere opposite this fuel station where we can get some so we can get home today"

He walked forward and I followed suit. I didn't even realized what I did until I have taken a few steps forward.
Did I just followed a stranger after he barely said a sentence?

His voice was commanding and yet not commanding. My legs walked on their own accord. He must've been a play boy. I concluded! Because he touched a part of me no one has ever touched before. Making me do things on my own accord.

But I walked with him checking my mental alertness every second. I can't trust my inner self at this moment.

We got a 5 litres fuel and came back, saved ourselves from having to leave our cars behind and I was going to open my car and get in when he stopped me.
"Miss Haleemah!"

"Haleema 'Aliyy kamal " He affirmed.
I just looked.I don't trust my words even if I wished to answer him.

The looks, the voice, the scents and the charm... everything is messing with my senses. And I allowed myself the luxury of it. Not that I have a choice.

"Don't you remember me?"

I looked at him blankly.

"Nadeer Mustapha Alban from orbit" I arched an eyebrow at him because I certainly don't remember anyone with a chirpy nose and bright smile with the name Nadeer.

"We met a few months ago at Eats and treats, and have been exchanging messages on whatsapp messenger only that you stopped replying me a few weeks ago."

I didn't talk, didn't trust my voice with his eyes piercing my soul, but I leaned back on my car and fold my hands across myself letting my expression speak for themselves. He tapped away on his phone and soon it was connecting a call.

He looked at me and I shrugged. Someone was picking up at the other end.

"Strange! We've had a phone call once"

"I think you've gotten the wrong person. "I commented and turn to enter my car.

This is the longest a guy had engage me in a talk more than necessary and I obliged. I would normally have politely given you the red light or pretend to be in a hurry and vamoose.

But even as he said "wait" today I did. I was human afterall. I'm not immortal. His masculine charm succeeded in breaking my defense this time and you know what they say?

Maganin kar ayi, kar a fara. Idan aka fara, to sai anyi.

I steered my car and exited the filling station heeding to wuro hausa, with a gift of heart palpitations and a new notification on my phone screen.

And my subconscious mind angry at me.

***

Nadeer!
I tasted the name on my tongue as I slumped down on my bed. It felt like I was tasting a disaster, a sweet disaster.

I picked up my phone to snoop around on instagram for a certain name.

Alban is a name I know.

I keep tracks on influential names because of the nature of the work I do. And because I have Sarah as a best friend.

Alban is a family of fulbe, whose roots are from Egypt. They have migrated and migrated for years and ended up settling down in yola about two to three generations back. It's hard to know when though but there are a handful of them across Nigeria, bearing Alban.

And they are what? Filthy rich and illegally fine. They should be banned from roaming about making other fulde's depressed. Tell the government I said so.

But this particular Alban, I wonder what he came with. I hope it's peace because my peace is all I have.

I wonder why I should disturb it now.

Having finished my night routine, I unplugged my phone only to see a message waiting to be read.

Leemah dear, hope you got home safely. Do justice to a man's heart here. It took all my willpower not to disturb your phone with my calls so I can hear your voice

I rolled my eyes. I've got one whiny bear.

And I would love to taste this forbidden feeling. I hope it doesn't ruin me.

Loving someone would ruin you Haleemah!

A voice told me but I ignored.

***

Alright dearies...

Here's a late Eid update.

Taqabbalallahu minna wa minkum.
Allah ya karbi ibadunmu