Chapter 14 *nine choices*

Mudathir

"Let him in " I heard my mother say and the maid opened the door wide for me.

Hajiya Yagana sat in all her grace holding a magazine while three of her maids attend to her. One cutting her fruits into smaller sizes which she spoons almost immediately an indication that the maid cannot leave unless she's finished, and one other massaging her legs. The other one is what she likes to address as spare maid, just in case there are tasks needing attention. Like when her phone rings.

I walked in feeling nothing like I was home in my mother's territory. If anything, I feel anxious and nervous like I was about to meet a judge on the final day of my court hearing.

"Mother" I say crouching down respectfully to greet her.

She waved her gold bangled hand which rattled as she did and her maids retreated to the rear, just a call away and out of earshot.

" I have already sent a message to Mai martaba of Yola and Her Excellency" I swallowed a bitter lump and nodded.

"I'm sorry if that isn't what you wished to hear." She said practically eyeing me.

"Come show me which of the Ali's you wish to marry"

The 'Aliyys are practically one of the most influential family of Yola who unlike everyone, refuse to relocate to a more affluent place like Abuja and remained in Yola despite their social status. They are just one generation family, being independent of their extended family for a reason best known to them.

I moved closer my heart thumping against my chest. I had no idea that magazines covers her family but knowing my mother, this magazine could be made only for her.

I saw a beautiful family picture which was most probably taken on an auspicious occasion. My heart ached as I saw the two familiar faces in my puzzles. I pitied myself remembering I fell in love with a non existent person.

I fell for someone pretending to be another person. The face wasn't the person I thought it was. Makes me wonder how I was fooled when we had a video call.

"It's this" I pointed to one.

She hummed and thought for a while.
"His daughters are all affluent and working class ladies. Ali is definitely blessed. Nine daughters!"

I didn't even have the energy to correct her pronunciation. The 'Aliyys takes pride in the name.

I suspected she is in a good mood, a sign that she has something up her sleeves. And it makes me more anxious. Having Hajiya Yagana's attention is bad news anytime anywhere.

"Let's see whose daughter she is" she said and flipped and flipped. Till I got tired and stopped counting. I begin to count from a thousand backwards, summoning all the iota of patience I have in me. I didn't know which devil pushed me to mention that I was in a relationship to Bobbi.

Aunt Bobbi is her personal dog even though she's her sister in law. People respects their in-laws, Hajiya Yagana turned hers to her dog.

"The second..." She trailed off looking more serious and nodding occasionally.

Then she snapped!
And a maid came running with her tablet.

"Here" she handed me the magazine.

"Give the girls a good look and tell me which again. Remember none of them is married so nine fabulous ladies are at your disposal. I hold the power to make unbelievable things happen. If only if..." she trailed of and I just knew why she kept quiet.

I hesitated, but then realizing that what I thought was a magazine was not one but the result of an investigation done on her family, I collected it.

Jameelah didn't know who she was messing with, I hope she doesn't regret it. There's more to me than what meets the eyes.

"Jam-jam the Yola babe" she read out and was scrolling on several beautiful pictures of Jameelah which made me realize something else about her.

"She's beautiful. And classy" my mom commented.

"But I like Humairah Ali, she looks bossy. I like boss ladies...Zainab Ali isn't bad too."

"God, look at Yusrah Ali. She's posh." She said giggling.

"Salma Ali, Haneefa Ali, Husnah Ali, Fatima Ali... it's hard to choose."

"But Haleemah Ali is the most beautiful, the youngest and the simplest"
I just closed my eyes.

***

I massaged my temples for the nth time today and Dan Ma'aji cast me a serious look this time.

"Man, what is eating you up? I got no time for small shits you know"

I just ignored him. He really has no time for small things. If it isn't money or sports then don't think of Kabeer Muallim Dan Maaji.

I just hope to see the day he would be smitten by his lucky princess. I'm definitely teasing him for lifetime about it.

Mansur Bulama is also helpless. He is senseless so talking to him is just a waste of time. I could only leave with a dislocated arm or a disjointed joint neck because Mansur Bulama is a psycho. He could just open his eyes and decide to pet you like a pet and can also decide to maltreat you like a slave.

Fauzan is married and has no time for bachelors again and Khalid is out of the country.

The only reliable person to talk to is Mujahid Sa'ad. But he's apparently too busy to see his friends now.

So I just closed my eyes and shut out my environment until Mansur pulled off at Grand square, we are to get bread and head to the bulama's to play ps the night. Have you had their bread before bye the way? It's heavenly.

I hoped I would be able to successfully shut out my problem too.

But clearly, it's impossible.

***

Okay...

I just knew this character would be lovely. I like him already.

But then, what do you think Mudathir should do?
There are nine fabulous girls at his disposal, who should he pick?

Jamjam or Haleemah?

Or one of their sisters?

I think I like Yusrah Ali...