Chapter 12

Jameelah

I watched Haleemah dressed up in her lilac abayah which she had gotten a week ago from nour closet ng. I remembered that she was so excited that she had shown it to me immediately she got back from work not minding how I behaved as if I was not listening to what she was saying.

It was beautiful and I busied myself with the stony designs on the fabric and just nod. She rambled on about how the lady was situated in kano and had to send it to her through a delivery man and how the delivery had wanted to over charge her.

I listened alright. I listened to all her rambles but I didn't give any comment. So she eventually kept quiet about it and went about her things leaving me in my small world thinking about what I had done to her and to myself.

She picked up a dark purple clutch and paired it with the same shade of shoes, so I shook my head at her. White would go way better. I said it to her and she changed.

I had willed myself to tell her what transpired between I and Mudathir yesterday but I couldn't bring myself to do so. I just watched her walk around our room and eventually bid goodbye to me and left.

Abbah had said the boy's family are one trouble makers and had called the governor of the state. His Excellency had sent someone in his stead to seek for his daughter's hand from him.

Refusing the proposal will definitely bring issues to him and Hajja. Abbah is her backbone. And they both wish to steer clear out of politics in their businesses. They are too related to people's life to do that.

I picked up a big long Orange hijab and slid on my shoes thinking of how to present my words to Dad. I don't think Haleemah can do anything about it again.

Thinking about his cold voice as he said 'Get ready to marry me' is giving me chills. I had no idea if it was for revenge or because he finally felt it was I he fell in love with.

I had met Mudathir and his friend that faithful day at a restaurant opposite my workplace. They sent me a dm on instagram when I reposted one of Haleemah's post and tagged her. And Haleemah had reposted it on her ig story.

His friend told me their problem and I agreed to help. I always do to fine guys I can play for a while and then discard. They'll fund my phone for a while and then I'll eventually tell them there's no way around it. Haleemah would never agree, I know that.

Once a fine guy had eventually came back to ask me out after he sought me to help him get Haleemah. I went on five dates with him, yes I counted, and then broke it up. I don't want someone who wants my sister. There's no guarantee he won't go back to her.

But with Mudathir, I saw genuine love. He had gave me a long look and asked me help his ministry.

He kept calling and pestering me to talk to her but I had no intention to. He was handsome and I begin to ask why he can't see me and only want Haleemah. I hated her more.

I begin to soften to him on calls telling him to calm down and give her time to come around. Then I learnt that he was leaving because he only came for a three months work trip on contract. And he had visited me a week before he left leaving me emotional about the love he had for Haleemah.

I thought I could innocently pretend to be Haleemah and just tell him we could only be friends. I was sure Haleemah would never agree. Because she didn't bat an eyelid when she turned down one Adeel Yawo of yemen who was a thousand times more handsome than Mudathir. And more richer and classy.

That was how it all began.

I knocked on Abbah's door and pushed it open. Abbah was reclining on his royal chair with his eyes closed. It's another world for he's troubled.

He sighed when he saw me and motioned me to come in. I did.

I served him water from his fridge and sat down at his legs.

"Abbah!" I called.
"Can we go for our outing today if you are not too busy, it may help you to relax"

Abbah nodded and draw in a minty breath asking me where I wanted to go. I told him I don't mind wherever even if it's just a walk in our area. He told me to go get ready and send in Hajiya Babba before I leave.

I smiled.

Everyone knew Hajiya babba is the love of his life. They married for love unlike his other wives. But he never showed any difference when dealing with his wives. And hajiya babba never flaunt it to anyone. Makes me think the other wives are the villains in their love story.

But if he didn't marry another wife, how would I have come to life bearing the name Hauwa'u Jameelah Aliyy' Kamal?

Send me Hajiya from my father means send me my peace.

The second wife was married to him by his mother because Hajiya babba gave birth to six consecutive baby boys. In late Mama's view, it was unfortunate.

So she made him marry Hajiya indo. But she also gave birth to three boys in the span of five years. Mama could not believe it. Hajiya indo had seven siblings from the same mother and they are all ladies. Mama didn't know that Allah gives what he wishes and that Father should be blamed more because he donated an X chromosome instead of Y each time a child is concieved.

Then he married my mother as a third wife for a reason Allah knows best. Mama might have probed it or he might have done it to scorn her, I have no idea. But my mother is the most troublesome among his wives. I know it because I have her genes. She never take things lying low.

And she wants to rule just like she might have ruled had it been she didn't have a cowive. She wants a say in feeble things like where the kitchen cabinet should be placed or the color of the Persian rug in the main parlour. She's like that and Hajiya babba knows how best to handle her

In the Aliyy's compound, Hajiya babba rules.

What you see her not have a say about is something she choses not to because she knows it will turn out well. Like its supposed.

And it's the best for us.

We all know, heck even my mother knows. Else there would be chaos everyday.

Then there's the quiet last wife who even in my opinion, being the last wife of the 'Aliyy is the best for her. She only gave birth to Haleemah. And I'll say Haleemah is lucky everyone likes her, else she'll really have trouble in this house. Her mother knows not how to fight for her rights.

Anyways, I went to summon Hajiya babba and went to my room to get changed.

Allah help me in my course today.