Chapter 17 *choice declaration*

Mudathir.

Adamawa is definitely beautiful and serene. But I paid heed to none of that. Not when I hoped I didn't have to do what I'm here for. Not even the little boys sending condescending smiles to me while discussing something among themselves. Definitely me!

I peeled the bananas I held in my hands and stuffed it in. I am so hungry. But I don't have the energy in me to walk about looking for an eatery, or eat from the food served by the devil herself. I sent it back the same way she sent it.

I am starting to think I made a wrong decision. I shouldn't have thought of accepting her. I should have told mum I got dumped or that I dumped her.

But I knew that would even be worst. She definitely has seen something she would benefit from the union. She will arrange something else that may be even worst.

What is it she said again? Nine girls at my disposal.

My phone rang and after much hesitation, I pulled it out. Seeing the caller Id made me draw a sharp breath before picking up. I told her to give me a call when her father is home and Lord save her if she's calling me for something else.

"I'm outside" she said quickly and hung up.

I scoffed, she better not try me.

"Father is around" she said and walked forward. I followed refusing to acknowledge her presence. Until we stopped and I noticed we are at a restaurant.

"Please!" She said lowly refusing to look up.

"I'll wait outside, please get something to eat" she pleaded.

That was the first time I studied her feature blanketed with the fear of what is to come. The consequence of her actions.

"How many men?" I asked and she was taken aback.

"How many men have you deceived the same way you did to me?" she grimaced and I know I wasn't wrong. I can't be the only person.
I walked past her leaving her guilt to catch up with her.

*

"You are marrying me, there's nothing I can do about it." I stated once we are on our way back to her home. It didn't faze her, so I continued "... I don't want the marriage so you can do yourself a favor and stop it"

That did the trick. She stopped.

"Is that to punish me?"

I let out a humorless laugh. "You should have thought about that when you say things that made me think I have found a wife."

"I didn't mean..."

"You didn't mean what?"I cut her off midway. "You didn't mean all you said? I already know. You didn't mean to do that and it was a mistake? I know that too. However you are stucked with me now. And I'm telling you I don't want it."

"Pearl" She called and I wanted to puke.

It's been a while since I've heard someone called me that. Or since I've heard her call me that. I eyed her. I don't want the name again and I didn't plan on hiding it.

"Don't try me!" I warned and she swallowed. Good.

"Lead the way to Abbah! My flight leaves tomorrow."

I was supposed to feel better after lashing out at her but I felt worse. Knowing I could not face her dad that way, I told her to excuse me and went off to cool down.

After a few minutes, I came back and met her the same way I left her, not that I care. Minutes later, I was in the presence of the infamous Alhaji 'Aliyy Kamal.

I was surprised at how he made me feel at ease with him and was conversing easily with me mostly on topics other than the real reason I was there. Jameelah had disappeared as soon as she introduced me to her father.

I didn't expect any courtesy concerning that I know he was informed about me like he was being commanded. Who sends message to their in-laws through the administration of their states? Definitely only Mrs Yagana Bichi!

"Mudathir ko? From kano?" He asked and I nodded.

"So, what brought you all the way here from Kano?" He asked finally after we've been conversing for more than thirty minutes.

I adjusted my sitting and faced him squarely assuming a confident yet respectful stance. The old man might seem jovial and easy but it's clear that he doesn't tolerate nonsense. I know that by watching the interaction between him and his daughter when we came in.

"Sir, I would like to start by apologizing for however my parents had behaved"

He waved it off like it was nothing.

*

"Sorry" I apologized to the man I almost bumped into on my way out of the 'Aliyy residence after having a hearty meal with Alhaji Aliyy himself.

"It's okay, sorry too" he said giving me a long look longer than normal. His face felt familiar and I begin to think of where I knew it.

Dismissing the thought, I walked to the masjid just beside the house to get some of my things I left behind while contemplating whether to call Jameelah so I can bid her farewell or not.

I had just stepped out when I saw the same car that I always teased Mujahid about. It was exactly the same and a part of me even thought he would be the one getting out. Except that this is Yola and the car was moving towards the residence of the 'Aliyys.

The car stopped momentarily and the guy I bumped into earlier walked towards it. And then, I saw someone get out from the car appearing to be in a conversation with him.

He walked to his car and came back with a gift package which he had to continually demand that she collect before she did. I looked away. It was obvious.

The guy's intention is pretty obvious and his status to her is also obvious.

She will let him in slowly. Yes, it was Haleemah 'Aliyy Kamal, the lady I was supposed be in love with.

When I looked back at them, he was bidding her farewell and she was smiling at him.

And behind them, there was Jameelah taking slow, cautious steps towards me.

***

So?

Seriously,

Please drop a comment.

Vote and share.

An fara😀😀😀

See y'all