Chapter 2

HALEEMAH

"Is she still alive? Why hasn't she been moving?" I heard Jameelah say as soon as she entered and noticed me still curled up in a ball on the bed.
Somehow, I knew the next thing is that she will forcefully drag me out of the bed not minding whether I have woken up before or had to wake up in the process.

Hauwau Jameelah is my closest half-sibling who I share a room with. But we are two opposite people tolerating each other and in the process, I did have to compromise more. I don't mind though, she's my sister.

"Meelah! Please allow me to sleep a little, wallahi I didn't get enough sleep yesterday. You know I was writing some articles" I pleaded hoping she'll pity me and leave but what was I thinking? This is Jameelah.

"Come on, get up!" Was her reply.

"If you have a husband will you still be in bed with your filthy excuses? Everyone is outside so come out now! It's Hajiya Babba's order" she completed.

I know I have no excuses. This is just half past eight for goodness sake. Can't I sleep till ten when I know won't be able to have siesta later in the afternoon? But there's no escape especially since Jameelah isn't ready to cover for me.

Hajiya Babba called the last Sundays of the month a Family day and that's today. Everyone has to make the day available except for the two hours siesta time within 2:00pm to 4:00pm. I dread the day because I am the last born of the house and the smallest aunt to the grandchildren. I have to be at everyone's beck and call be it the kids or the adults. But I get spoilt the most too. And I love my nieces and nephews.

I groaned a little and dragged myself out of the bed to the bathroom. I have to look presentable too, how do I grace Hajiya Babba with my presence having dark circles and smudged eyes. Of course she'll only ask if I'm sick, and tell me to go get dolled up for the day.

And by that, it must be extra. Something I don't wish to go through.

I got dressed in a long sleeved sweatshirt and pants with a woolly cap just perfect for the chilly weather. I did a little warm up in my own girlish way and then grab my phones before heading outside. Time to face big sisters, brothers and little munchkins. I am twenty-four years old and will be twenty-five in a few months but I am still a kid to everyone especially since I have older sisters still unmarried and at home.

As I stepped into the huge sitting room with the four Mothers and a Dad, twenty other children among which twelve were sons, six daughter-in-laws and a dozen of grandchildren someone whistled and announced my entrance. Its going to be none other than the sweetest brother one could ever have, Hamma Jamilu, Hajiya Babba's last born. I knew even without listening to the voice.

"... And I present to you the famous journalist, writer, the news caster, news publisher and news overseer of the Yola state media house who is none other than Halimah Sa'adiya 'Aliyy Kamal, A round of applause for her." And everyone applauded. I smiled uncontrollably focussing on not going crazy with the high-pitched shouts I got into.
Ya Allah see me through today.

"Belleza dear, give me water from the fridge before you pass it" Hamma Awwal our first born shouted before I could walk further inside.

I haven't even taken a seat before I get to start my purpose here. I stopped by the fridge to get him his needs and walk further kissing my playing nephews and nieces by the cheek and hugging the elder ones till I reached the parents where I had to crouch down before they draw me in for a hug.

I noticed Mama, the second wife giving me a look telling me that she fought with my mother but Ina ruwana; why should I care? Hajiya Babba has thought us that we mustn't take notice of anything between our mothers so, right now I don't care.

When I got to Dad he patted my head and said "My girl"

"Toh! Sleeping beauty, you haven't appologise to everyone for coming out late" Hajiya Babba said when I finally settled down.

"Mum, wallahi I didn't get enough sleep last night" I answered.

"Is that why your family have to wait for you? You are the youngest, Halimah Sa'adiyya! You don't even have to participate in making breakfast yet you didn't make it to the sitting room early" she queried again.

See her talking as if she isn't the one who held us yesterday that I had to use my sleeping hours for my article.

"Mum, I was writing an article and they need it today shiyasa; that's why"

"You know what? just appologise to everyone before I get more angrier, see her nose like an article" She said with a tone of finality.

"Mum it looks like yours fah" someone said. We address everyone as Mum except when there's a need to differentiate.

"Especially when she's forming anger!" Jameelah chirped in and Hajiya turned to look at her. Seriously, Jameelah has no filter in her mouth. I, for one knew that's not what she meant.

"Yours look like goro:kola nut" Adda Haneefa, her elder sister spoke and everyone laughed. We don't condone anyone disrespecting any mother. They are all our mothers.

I think I saw a faint smile on Hajiya's face or is it my imagination?

"Appologise! " She commanded and I did.

"Serve yourself." My mother said pushing the dish towards me.

***

"Its a minute to 10. Kabir please switch to Yola media station. Belleza's program will be aired" Hamma Jamilu announced and my mouth dropped in amazement. I have even forgotten about it but he still remembered.

"Hamma, you still remembered?" I queried.

"As a matter of fact, we all do"Adda Humaira answered.

"Awwn, thank you all" I said already getting emotional. I have amazing siblings. Our parents were just chatting among themselves.

It was a thirty minutes video to promote the objectives of the Women's Council movement in Yola. It was my first time and I was both scared and nervous the day it was recorded. After almost a week, I have forgotten about it already because I have had a lot to handle these days.

"Chhotee! Are you going to cry" Hamma Yusouf teased me.

"No Bhai!" I answered back.

I have many names in that house. It could be chhotee, belleza, pretty, little, leemah or lim-lim or even saadiyya. But I prefer being called Haleemah. It makes me feel like me. Just plain me. The way Hajja calls me.

Thirty minutes after, my phone rang and I already know who it will be. Hajja the great chairlady of Yola Women Council. That woman has played a great role in my life and I know I owe her much.

I stood up to leave the midst of my family's happy chatters so I can answer the call in peace.
"Where are you going?" Many voices asked me at the same time to which I could only signal as an answer.

My gaze clashed my mother's and I saw the reflection in her eyes. I am happy that my mother is happy. I am happy that I made her happy. And I am happy that my family are happy.

My family, My bottom line...

----------

Heyyooo! Beautiful people,
Another chapter in our heroine's point of view.

How do you see it?

May Allah bless our parents, grant them their wishes and desires over us and make us a source of happiness to them.

Mi'ah Muhammad ✍️❤️