Lost things

[A/N]: Doffy will have one blind eye in this one. I wish I knew about this theory before writing Vice, but at least here I can use it.

A few weeks after Impel Down

You curse silently, holding the paint bowl between your teeth. The wind blows the rope you grab on, and you have to let it go with one leg to keep yourself close to the mainmast. You almost drop the brush from your free hand, but then manage to recover your balance.

Doffy was quite lost in thoughts for the last few days, so you decided to turn the ship even pinkier to cheer him up. He wouldn't tell you what's bothering him, and your ability can only see a confused but sad feeling that strained through his mind deeply.

You hold yourself on the rope with one hand and lock your legs around the mast to paint the next few inches. Only at times like this, you do wish to be his height. Or his ability to fly. Specifically, anything that would make your current state look less humiliating.

-Dowly?

Speak of the devil in pink.

-Hermphe. -you try to shout back regardless of the can between your teeth. The man appears at the door and frowns for a second as he sees you fighting against the elements to see him smile. A resigned breath leaves his throat and he walks closer, reaching toward you with his hand.

-Give that to me. You look ridiculous.

-Donm't you like't?

-Give that to me, woman!

You shake your head and he repeats it even more annoyedly. You lift your chin defiantly and pull the brush over his open palm slowly, painting it bright pink.

Doflamingo's jaw drops in indignation and surprise, then it transforms into an insulted pout. You blink and smudge one more line on his skin, just to strengthen your position.

When you start laughing at his outrage, he pushes his huge palm into your face, covering half of it in pink paint. You let out a muffled shriek and fall down.

Doffy catches the brush and the can with two elegant movements. Catches everything else but you, actually.

Shithead.

You groan deeply and the man leans above you just to make you feel even tinier. He grimaces a little, then forces a smile on his lips. You hate to see that it's not honest.

-All those years of human evolution, for this? -he sighs. You turn bright red and stand up. He puts down the things to free his hands and crouches, kissing your forehead gently at a surprisingly not painty place.

-There's an island I have to visit. I want you to come with me. -says Doffy, and you scowl when you feel his dark emotions growing stronger again.

-What island?

He doesn't answer and you don't force it. You touch your face with a fingertip to get some paint, then leave a pink point at the tip of his nose. Doffy smiles sadly and kisses you, then stands up again and leaves you behind without a word.

You watch him worriedly, but then climb back to the rope to finish painting.

.

.

.

You only reached the island he wanted by sundown. He didn't talk much through the day, the shadow grew darker over his features. Now you are walking beside him, the uncomfortable silence spreads in the air. A faint wrinkle runs between the place where his eyebrows should be.

You notice how he consciously avoids the village and passes through the forest to keep his distance. You let out your Devil Fruit from time to time, trying to comfort him. It doesn't help his tense muscles to relax and you have no idea what's happening.