18 L I B E R A T E D 18

18 V 18

Liberty and I entered the event, arm on arm. We both wore matching suits, hers a last minute fix to look like mine's. What can I say? Money exceeds time.

Me and Liberty trailed behind my mother, who was in a shimmering crimson gown that had a train long enough to be a wedding gown. After all, she had nicknamed this event the wedding of her business anyways.

After the event started to hustle and bustle, Liberty and I were forced to stand by the doors, and welcome any unfortunate souls that managed enough courage to walk in after my mother graced the building with her presence.

Nobody's dress dazzled the eyes like hers did.

I felt like a proud daughter in that moment, I just wished that my father was here to witness it.

Another night. Not by our sides.

"I have to use the bathroom."

"You should've went before we came in," I told Liberty. "I'm not a damn child. If I have to piss, I'll go piss when I want to-

"Fine, fine," I shooed her away. "But remember," I let my words trail off, staring into her brown eyes.

Her hair was piled into an attempt at a high bun, and her previously red eyes were a shiny white tonight.

Seeing her in this way...made her not seem so bad.

But then I had to remember that she had stolen from my mother's business. Essentially, stealing from me.

"Vonna."

I turned around to find A'livia.

"I see you have Liberty as your date. Tell me about that," she rose a brow. She was wearing a purple frilly gown that didn't match at all with my mother's theme. Matter of fact, she was the center of attention for all the wrong reasons tonight.

"I think you might want to change, A'livia. Your attire doesn't fit the theme." I wasn't in a cordial mood tonight. A'livia's little friend had ended that.

Seeing A'livia retreating, I called her name.

"Wait. I have something to ask you...about Liberty."