11 L I B E R A T E D 11

11 L 11

"So. Why didn't you tell us you were leaving last night, Liberty? Nobody even noticed," Amy commented.

I only shrugged, focused on eating my lunch.

The day had gone by slow as hell, and it seemed like the group was only making this school day even more torturous.

"Did we do something?" Jeredine asked softly.

"It's probably because of," Onella cocked her head at me like that explained everything, "you know?"

"Oh," Amy said.

"Liberty," Jeredine reached out to touch my arm.

"I'm gonna- I'm gonna go sit in the library today," I didn't make eye contact with any of them as I got up to leave. "Liberty. We're only tryna look out for you," Jeredine said, standing up too.

"I don't need anybody to do that," I slammed my tray down. "Well fine then. Get lost in your own little world," Onella snapped. "We're your friends. And if you wanna push us away and never have anyone to lean on, that's fine by us." Jeredine glanced back at Onella for that last part, her eyes full of disagreement concerning Onella's words.

"You don't treat us like your real friends anyways," Amy mumbled.

"Liberty," Jeredine said again.

"That's fine. I'll do shit on my own then," I said, walking away from the table and slamming my way through the cafeteria doors. I was instantly met face to face with A'livia, who looked to be the epitome of startled. "Liberty, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," my eyes were starting to water and I hated when people saw me cry. Not to mention, what me and the group do was always under wraps. Nobody, not even A'livia, knew that we stole.

"Are you sure? Is it the crew?" she asked softly.

"It's nothing," I snapped. "I just need a moment."

I turned away from her, wiping my face until it was dry enough for me to look at her again. "Better?" she asked. "Yeah," I exhaled slowly. "Well, I was actually coming down this way to ask you something," she started.

"Yeah?"

"My mom's hosting a little event- Wait, let's start from the top actually. You know about Vonna's mom's event already, right?"

"Vonna? Who's that?" I asked.

"Girl. Her mom owns Carmela Did Dis, the little cute boutique in Upper Aster Waters. Her mom's hosting a large event for WOC in the fashion business industry. My mom was invited to it because of her shop, and she's helping your mom get an invite too," A'livia explained.

"Yeah, I knew about that," I nodded.

"Okay. Well, my mom's having an event before that one and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me. I'm gonna be bored as hell. Your mom is gonna be there anyways, because Vonna's mom will be there and that's when our mom's plan on proposing that your mother has an invite to Vonna's mom's event." I tried to keep up. "Okay. I'll go," I decided.

"Alright. It's next week. Monday. 8 o'clock."

I groaned. "I always have the latest shift at Mr. Cherry's. On Monday's we close at 10."

"That man's gonna fire you one day," A'livia laughed.

"Ugh. Don't say that. I'll work something out. Worst case scenario: I lose another day off to this. Is there a theme?"

"Two hot best friends?" A'livia grinned, then laughed nervously, "if you'd like me to be your best friend, that is."

"Sure girl. I need new friends anyways, so it seems," I grinned. "But no, really. What's the theme?"

"Evening type of shit. But I'll help you get ready."

"Sounds like a plan," I said.

"Sounds like a plan," A'livia agreed.