33 L I B E R A T E D 33

33 L 33

The entire school day up until lunch, I was anxious about what I'd say to my friends. Vonna even offered to skip class to be there for moral support, but I knew that I needed to handle this on my own.

"You're all here," I said, sitting down at my old lunch table. Damn near weeks of ignoring my friends. "In some shape or form," I shot Amy a smile; Onella was using FaceTime for her on her phone.

I looked around the table at Jeredine and Onella, Amy was propped up against someone's lunch kit.

"I wanted to talk to all of you because it's time that I apologize. You guys saw that I was struggling even when I myself didn't see it. I pushed you guys away, hurt feelings," me and Jeredine locked eyes at that, "said hurtful things. And I want to apologize to you guys. You're my friends. And one thing that I've learned this year, is that friends are hard to come by. Loyal people, are hard to come by. And you guys happen to care. You guys happen to be all of those things."

I took a moment to breathe.

"Today is gonna be really important for me. This is now officially the first day of me letting go borrowing. I understand if you guys want to keep doing your own thing, going to Lower Aster Waters and doing ya do, but I won't anymore. I know that's what I need to do. I'm also going to ask my parents for help. It might go one way or another, but it won't kill me to try. I know my mother finding out about my problem will be disappointing to her, especially because of the way business is going now, but I won't let things continue to be that way. I won't disappoint her anymore. Things are gonna change for me."

"Liberty, I'm proud of you, babe," Onella said, holding her arms out. "This new you deserves a hug."

We hugged and Amy proceeded to high five me through the screen. Now Jeredine was the last person in the crew left.

"Jeredine?"

"I'm proud of you, Liberty. I'm glad to see you growing, and it's amazing how far you've came." Jeredine stood up from the table, walking towards me. "I don't have anything bad to say to you. I don't have any jealousy directed your way. I'm just glad you're happy with your decisions. Bring it in."

Jeredine and I hugged.

"I'm glad to see the crew back together," A'livia said, approaching the table. "I knew it would happen eventually."

"Yeah," Onella smiled.

"So...you're giving up borrowing, but are you giving up smoking," A'livia rose an eyebrow, a little grin on her face. "Hell nahh," I grinned back. My eyes fell on Jeredine. "But, if nobody's staying behind, then me and Jeredine can chill in the library. I don't want you to feel left out," I said the last part to Jeredine.

"It's fine. I'm coming with y'all."

I frowned. "Since when do you smoke, Jeredine?"

"Since some things changed," she said, grabbing her purse and standing besides A'livia. I blinked for a moment. "Y'all two are a thing now?" I asked.

"A'livia was my other crush. We decided we would take things slowly. Just because I told you I liked you doesn't mean I was necessarily looking for a relationship with you, Liberty." But that hopeful expression on her face yesterday?

"Liking someone doesn't always equate to a relationship. I just happen to have feelings for Livy more than I do for you. I hope...this doesn't make things awkward between us three," Jeredine blushed. A'livia stared at her feet, like she was afraid of what I would say.

"It won't make things awkward," I let my words trail off. Something was left unspoken between us three, but even I didn't know what it was.

"Well...that's out in the air," Onella stated. "So why don't you tell us what's going on between you and Mrs. Carmela Did Dis daughter?"