6 L I B E R A T E D 6

6 V 6

After lunch, I make my way down the halls. So far, I've successfully talked to five different people I don't know, and I've given even more people random compliments. But...you honestly can't make friends in a week. Nor, find a date to an event your mother's hosting in a month.

"I'm a failure," I sighed underneath my breath, heading to my next class. My progress wasn't really going anywhere, and I knew that at least if I had some friends that I could take some of the load on my mother's shoulders off.

After school, I waited at the front of the building for my dad. Either him or my mother usually picked me up, but I knew that she was too busy lately.

Dad🥷🏽: wya?? It's too many damn kids out here

Me: it's a school dad 😭😭 at da front

Dad🥷🏽: too many ppl walking. Come to me

Me: ok 👍🏽

Eventually, I made my way to my father's black SUV.

"I got some news for you, kid. I hope you're excited. You're always going and on and on about how you want to connect with more parts of your family, so here's your chance: Your cousin and your uncle need somewhere to stay while their house is being renovated, so your mother and I agreed this evening to let them stay for as long as they need."

I didn't know what to think of his news. On one hand I was slightly excited, on the other, I hadn't seen this particular cousin since I was little. What if we didn't have anything in common? What if she was a bitch?

"How has Janela been?"

"Good. Pretty good, I hear. She um, has a girlfriend now and a baby. They, um, bought it, I guess."

"Why you said it like that?" I laughed, absolutely dying. "Well shit, how else did she get it," my dad was starting to turn red. Men always wanna make babies but then feel uncomfortable about everything that comes with them. "It's just a kid, Dad. No need to turn into Elmo," I laughed, enjoying his expressions.

"I- Yes. Yes," he mumbled, gathering himself.

"So when are we expecting them?" I asked him, half listening as I pulled out my cell phone.

"Actually, they should be arriving by the time we get home," he told me casually.

My mind blanked.

"And...where will Janela be sleeping?"

"The baby will be staying with Janela's girlfriend. I assume it isn't too much for you to share your considerably large bedroom with your cousin, will it?" my dad said with an edge to his tone.

"I'm sorry, why couldn't Janela's dad find a hotel? And Janela stay with her girlfriend?"

"Vonna," my dad frowned, his easygoing demeanor evaporating. "Family is family. And family comes first. Why make them waste their money when they could come stay with us. Plus, I thought you wanted to grow closer to your family members. Sharing won't hurt you. Worst case scenario, they'll be here until the end of the school year, if that."

"Janela still lives with her dad?"

"Yes. Janela, her baby, and the girlfriend," my dad told me.

"So she got a baby...but nowhere to stay? Why would she choose to go and adopt or artificially in-

"Vonna East."

"Okay...whatever," I turned my head away from him.

"Vonna," my dad repeated my name again.

"I'm good on whatever you gotta say. I would have just liked to have a heads up on someone moving into my personal space. A whole adult who could just as easily sleep on the couch."

"Her father's taking the guest room," my dad stated.

"They can't sleep in the same room?" I asked with a whole lot of attitude. "I haven't hit you in a long time, Vonna, but you're pushing me there. You know I don't condone this type of attitude. This type of response," my dad said angrily.

"You won't put a hand on me," I told him, snatching my earbuds out and putting my stuff away. If he wanted to tussle I was up for it. I'm not no little kid anymore, I'm gonna defend myself.

My dad took in a deep breath, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly. "Janela doesn't feel comfortable sleeping in the same room as her father. That's the done deal. End of discussion."

"And so you're comfortable with him sleeping in the guest room then?" I ask.

"Vonna."

"I'll walk home."

"Vonna."

My dad slowed down the car. I grabbed my things and hopped out, shoving my earbuds back into my ears as I walked the rest of the way home. Yeah, I want to get closer to my family, but I also don't want some person I barely know evading my space.

I have a right to be angry.