25 L I B E R A T E D 25

25 L 25

We entered the café, me first, then Vonna. It reminded me of the halted entry me and the crew used to do when we split off into pairs to steal from the stores of Lower Aster Waters.

Instead, I was trying to steal my best friend's trust apparently.

It felt wrong not to let her into this part of my life, but A'livia and I had grown so close, and I had seen Vonna's initial reaction to my issue. What if I lost A'livia the same way I had lost the crew?

"Hey, mama," I playfully winked at her. "Hey," her brows crinkled, "where y'all been?" she asked, spotting Vonna coming in.

"Oh, I don't know about Vonna, but I had to run by my place real quick," I told her. "Then I had to find the café."

"I thought the directions I gave you were clear," she frowned, then shrugged, "Well, whatever. Y'all excited to try some new foods? Healthy foods?"

"Yup," Vonna replied, joining us at the table.

The seats were covered in painted vines along the wooden chairs, the cushions sported floral designs, and the tables had inspirational quotes scribbled on them in cursive or maybe it was just calligraphy. The café had an outdoor vibe, even though it was all inside.

"Hmm," A'livia picked up her menu.

"This place is nice," I said, trying to play at some small talk. It was weird bringing my two worlds together: A'livia and Vonna. One knew a different side of me than the other did. If A'livia hadn't invited me here along with Vonna, I wouldn't have ever thought I'd witness such a collision.

"Yeah. So...after we order our food, I actually wanted to talk about why I asked you two to come here."

I looked up from the menu I was reading.

"Oh. I thought we were just hanging out?" Vonna said, looking over at me as if I might've been in on this. "Me too," I add in, looking over at A'livia.

"I'll explain everything later," she sighed.

The weight of the merchandise in my pockets felt heavier. What did A'livia need to tell us?

A waiter came by and took our orders after we each had a hard look at the menu. I had some cauliflower dish that was supposed to taste like chicken, Vonna got a vegan burger, and A'livia got a burger too, but a different kind.

"So. The food's ordered," Vonna trailed off, looking at A'livia to continue. "I did some talking with Jeredine," my best friend looked at me. "And I had a conversation with Vonna at her mom's event about you. Jeredine told me about the stealing, and Vonna told me about it too."

I nodded, already seeing where this was going. "She's not supposed to-

"I know that she wasn't supposed to tell, but your friends are worried about you. After you stopped chilling with the crew, they no longer had tabs on your habits, Liberty. Jeredine came to me, alone, and asked me to keep tabs on you."

I scoffed, "Keep tabs on me. So you've been following me?"

"No. But if that's what it takes, then I'll do it," she said. "Look, I'm not interested in ratting out your friends, nor you. Me and Jeredine just have your best interest in mind, okay?"

"I'm cutting back. And I'm fucking tired of everybody thinking they know everything about me," I said, starting to stand. "Liberty. Liberty. Liberty," Vonna said, grabbing my arm.

"No, because I don't want to stay here. Everybody wants to dictate my life and-

"I'm sorry I broke my promise to you," Vonna said.

I glared at her.

"You have an issue with control, Liberty. You can't stand when other people have a say so over your life, whether it's the biggest change or the smallest. And you also have an issue with self love. You're pushing others away because you don't want to see yourself as a good person. As a person, in general."

"Shut up, A'livia."

My eyes started to water and I walked away from the table. "Liberty, you can't run away from those who care for you," Vonna said.

"Why is everybody trying to tell me what I can and can not do?"

"Because you're doing the wrong things," Vonna said, grabbing my shoulders, "you're making the wrong decisions."

Ashamed, my tears fell down my face.

"Let your friends care about you. Let us help you."

"Liberty," A'livia said, standing behind Vonna with a sad expression. I wiped my face, embarrassed that I was crying in front of all of these people.

"Okay. I'll let you help me," I said at last.

If all these people were trying to tell me this one thing, it has to be something wrong with me.

"Thank you. It's about time," Vonna smiled.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you, A'livia," I apologized.

"It's okay. I know you're going through it right now," she gave me a warm hug. "Liberty, can I tell you something?" Vonna asked me timidly after we were all done making up.

"I'll go sit back down in case the server comes and sees no one there," A'livia jerked her thumb back at the table. Vonna grabbed my hand and led me outside, the gentle rustling of the trees above a quiet shhh. "What is it that you wanted to tell me?"

"Liberty. I've known you for a few weeks now, and...I know I said I wanted to be your friend but," Vonna paused, looking down at her feet.

"But?" I frowned, observing her face.

"But I..."