26 L I B E R A T E D 26

26 V 26

"...think I have a crush on you."

I looked up to watch Liberty's face as my words sunk in. "Well, I've never had a crush on another stud before," she started off. "But I guess that explains the funny feeling I've had inside when I'm around you," she blushed, holding the back of her neck as she looked down.

"It just felt right to tell you. I'm not asking for anything or whatever, but I just couldn't hold onto that secret any longer," I admitted.

"Well, Vonna, I think I have a crush on you too," she smiled shyly. "But I don't see how you could be attracted to someone like me. The things that I do. The way that I am when I'm emotional," her voice cracked a little.

"Nobody's perfect...and I see that you're on a journey to becoming better. Or, the best that you can be," I smirked, "your path might be a little rocky, but your determination shows me that you have a good personality."

"I could be evil and determined to do bad things. Determination doesn't always equal a good, hard worker," she stated, raising a brow. "No. But in you it does," I stepped closer to her. I could see by the slight way that she stepped back that she was kind of nervous. "Can I kiss you?" I asked her.

She bit her bottom lip, mid nod before she started shaking her head. "I'm not ready yet. If that's okay?" she said in a small voice. I grabbed her hand tenderly, opening her palm and using it to touch my face. "It's okay. I understand."

Liberty started to laugh. "I bet A'livia is watching us right now," she said. "I bet the whole shop is," I laughed. "I don't want to go back inside if that's the case. You look and see," she blushed. I glanced quickly at the windows and sure enough, we had the entire cafe's attention.

"Yeah, we can eat outside."

"You think they'd let us?"

"Well, why wouldn't they?" I frowned.

"Probably would think we'd try and steal their kitchenware," she commented, then laughed. "How ironic is that?"

"Y'all two done?" A'livia peeped her head out of the doors. "Your food's getting cold."

"Yeah, we're done," I said.

Liberty held out her hand, and I took it with a little grin. "Lemme find out my two friends are dating," A'livia smirked, eyeing our hands. "Not yet at least," I glanced at Liberty. She blushed hard.

We made our way back inside, ignoring the eyes of the other customers. I'm surprised we hadn't been put out. "This looks good," Liberty commented as we sat down, going straight to her plate.

"Can I get some?"

"Ay, that's girlfriend zone. Until then, eat off your own plate," A'livia declared, pushing my burger closer in front of me. "But if you feel compelled to share with your good friend," I trailed off, winking at Liberty and ignoring A'livia's verdict.

Suddenly, my phone started buzzing.

"Hold on," I stood up and headed back outside, answering my mother's call. "Hello?" I answered.

"Vonna, I have good news!"

"Yes?"

"Your father's back home. If you're done with your outing with your friends, he's waiting on you here."

"Alright. Okay. That's good," I said, too excited to think. "I'll let A'livia and Liberty know I'm heading home." I hung up and went back inside of the café, a large smile on my face. "Guess what guys?"

"What?" they both answered at the same time.

"My father's back home. I gotta go see him. He's waiting on me," I said excitedly. "Why was he gone?" A'livia asked curiously. "Yeah," Liberty added in.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. "It's kind of complicated. I'll talk to you guys about it one day," I promised them. "I'll pay for my part, and see if I can take this to-go. I will make this up to you guys."

Liberty stood up to hug me goodbye. Before this moment, I'm not sure I remember a more genuine hug between us. "Let me know how it goes," she told me. "Me too!" A'livia added in loudly, still sitting down.

"Alright. I got y'all." I waved goodbye to them before leaving, wondering how my father and I would ease back into our relationship after everything that had happened.