5 L I B E R A T E D 5

5 L 5

It was now lunch time at school, and I sat at my usual spot with Amy, Jeredine, and Onella. And like promised, Onella had attempted to kick me in the face, severely failing and pulling something in her leg. This brings us to this very moment:

"Son of a whore!" Onella screeched.

One of the cafeteria monitors glanced over at our table but said nothing. I swear those nosy ass seniors and teachers don't be in here to do nothing for real. They just like to hear some dirty gossip and see a good ass fight.

Now that I think about it...shittt I don't blame 'em.

"I told yo ass you couldn't touch me," I cackled. "I'm still what? I'm still what?" I repeated. "Untouched," I smirked. Amy was helping Onella stretch out the leg, as me and Jeredine howled at Onella's grunts of frustration. Amy's long auburn hair laid across Onella's leg as she moves her hands across it in an attempt to massage it. I could see beads of sweat forming on Amy's face, her strong eyeliner seeming to fade in real time as she concentrated on fixing Onella's apparently "pulled muscle".

"If I lose my leg because of you, I'll use the other one to stick it up yo-

"Hey, Liberty."

I looked up to see A'livia with her lunch tray in her perfectly manicured hands

I looked up to see A'livia with her lunch tray in her perfectly manicured hands. She cocked her head towards the bathrooms and like clockwork, Onella's dramatics stopped abruptly. "Where y'all headed to?" Onella smirked. Suddenly Onella wasn't in pain anymore.

Mhm.

"I got me something new from my plug," A'livia shrugged. A'livia was more so my innocent friend compared to this friend group, so when Onella and A'livia engaged in conversation, it usually was about smoking weed, one way or another.

"I can't believe y'all still do that middle school ass shit," Jeredine mumbled besides me. Although nobody in the group was really angel material, Jeredine was the least devil out of all of us. She didn't really like to smoke, and she was responsible.

She was like the best you could generally get out of a teen nowadays.

"Shhh, grownups are talking," I thumped her head playfully. Jeredine dodged that and smacked her lips. Standing up with her empty tray, she headed for the trash cans. Ignoring A'livia and Onella's growingly explicit conversation, I followed after her.

"What's wrong?"

Jeredine was thick as hell, with nice dark skin, a chill clothing style much like mine's, and half blue, half black hair, split down the middle. We almost stood at the same height, but I was always proud to proclaim my 5'7 and a quarter to her average 5'6.

"I don't like all this stuff you and Onella starting to do now."

"Like the..."

"Not that," Jeredine mumbled, looking down. "I mean, I get that. But the other stuff. The smoking, the skipping class. We said once we got to middle school, we'd do better. Remember?"

"I hardly meant that promise. We were hardly acquaintances back then," I shrugged.

"Liberty," Jeredine frowned up at me, her eyes crinkling in frustration.

"Fine. I'll try to cut back. But you know what smoking does for me. How it makes me feel. What it mostly keeps me from doing," I added the last part even quieter. "I thought your job was supposed to help with some of that. Leave you too tired after school to not want to do too much else. To distract you from your urges," she said.

I only shrugged which didn't seem like enough for her. I looked back at the table, where Onella looked impatient to go, right besides Amy. I guess the whole group was coming to the bathroom then. I glanced over at Jeredine. "I'm going to the library. I have a book to return. Y'all have fun," she said curtly.

She walked away in her favorite pair of basketball shorts, her blowed out hair piled into a bun.

I made my way back over to the table and told the gang I'd only stay for a little bit.

It felt like I needed to return something too.