Chapter 68

All the air that was left in my lungs escaped in a rush, making me stagger back and lose my footing as I collapsed to the ground. Edward glanced down at me, his eyes showing his worry and confusion. He reached out and took hold of my arm to pull me up from the ground, but I was still too stunned to really hold my own weight at this point. Edward wrapped an arm firmly around my waist, speaking my name quietly, his tone full of concern.

I was utterly speechless, not knowing what to say, much less think. What just happened? How was that even possible? That's never happened before. Despite being so wrapped up in my thoughts as I tried to understand what I saw, I was still able to hear what was being said. 

"Now you know," Alice told Aro. "That's your future, unless you decide on another course." 

Caius stepped forward, his tone insistent. "We cannot alter our course. The child still poses a grave threat." 

"But what if you were sure she could remain concealed from the human world?" Edward called out. "Could we leave in peace?"

"Of course," Caius acknowledged. "But that cannot be known."

Alice turned and began to walk back to where we stood, though she stopped halfway. "Actually," Edward corrected. "It can."

I was still too startled by everything that I had just seen to turn and focus on the two strangers that had just entered the field. My eyes were locked on Aro, though I was not really even seeing him. The events I had been witness to were still playing through my mind. 

"I've been searching for witnesses of my own among the Ticuna tribes of Brazil." Alice informed Aro. 

"We have enough witnesses-" Caius began to say.

Aro held up a hand, half-turning back to face him. "Let him speak, brother."

"I am half human," the male stranger started. "Half vampire, like the child. A vampire seduced my mother, who died giving birth to me. My aunt, Huilen," the man gestured towards the woman next to him. "Raised me as her own. I made her immortal." 

With my mind still reeling and my body seemingly still in shock, I really couldn't do anything but stand there in Edward's strong grip. I was, however, able to ask just one question before I was swept up in my thoughts again. "How old are you?"

The stranger turned to face me. "One hundred and fifty years."

"At what age did you reach maturity?" Aro questioned him, taking a step or two forward.

"I became full-grown seven years after my birth. I have not changed since then." 

"And your diet?" Aro prodded.

"Blood, human food. I can survive on either." 

Marcus, who had been entirely silent thus far, finally spoke. "These children are much like us." 

Caius cut in again. "Regardless, the Cullen's have been consorting with werewolves. Our natural enemies." 

Aro turned back to face him, placing one hand on his shoulder, before glancing back at me. "Dear ones," he started softly. "There is no danger here. We will not fight today." 

Caius was clearly appalled by Aro's words, raising a brow in response, though he did not say anything in retaliation. One by one, the Volturi and the Guard turned to leave, until Aro was the only one who remained behind. He looked at Alice briefly, fixing his gaze solely on me. "Such a prize."

Vladimir and Stefan moved quickly forward. "We have them on the run. Now is the time to attack."

As Carlisle passed them, he declined. "Not today."