Chapter 47

A/N: Songs for this scene: Bring on the Rain by Jo Dee Messina & Tim McGraw/Broken by Lifehouse

Just as Edward had promised, after the fight had been won and we returned to his home, he pulled Carlisle aside. I was sitting on the couch in the living room, with my knees brought up to my chest and my arms wrapped tightly around them with my chin resting on my arms as my gaze locked unseeingly onto the hardwood floor. My mind was racing wildly, thinking of everything that had happened in such a short span of time. Tears began to prick at my eyes as I took a deep breath and slowly released it.

Carlisle moved to stand before me as Edward sat next to me on the couch. Edward pulled me close to his side, sighing in slight worry when I did not react to his touch in any way. Carlisle knelt down before me, placing his hand over mine as he looked up at me. He was patient, waiting until I raised my gaze to meet his own before speaking.

"Edward tells me that you're having a bit of trouble," Carlisle's voice was gentle as he spoke. "Why don't you walk me through what's running through your mind?"

It was a long and rather tiring session of impromptu therapy. But I was glad to say that after the three hours I spent talking to Carlisle about my feelings, my thoughts and my fears, I felt better than I had in a long time. For the most part, he had listened silently, only asking questions at my breaks between sentences and giving advice when I asked for it.

Edward had left the room at some point, wanting to explain to the others that he did not want them asking any questions about what was being discussed until he or I thought I was ready to talk about it, despite the fact that they could hear every word we said anyway.

By the time I emerged from the room, I was smiling, feeling as though a heavy weight had just been lifted from my shoulders. The expression on Edward's face made my smile widen as I walked to his side, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you," I whispered to him.

"For what?" His eyes locked with mine, waiting for me to continue.

I felt another round of tears pricking at my eyes. "For not giving up on me. For staying by my side throughout my lowest points." His cool fingers brushed away the tears as I felt another smile touch my lips. "For loving me, despite all that I am."

He turned his gaze to each member of his family, each of them wearing faint smiles of their own as they watched me. "Jess," he turned me around in his arms until I was facing his family. As my eyes met each of the others', I smiled again. "We will never give up on you. None of us. You are just as much a part of this family as anyone else." I took a deep breath, enjoying the feeling of belonging surrounding me. I turned my gaze to Jasper, just wanting to be sure. He only smirked back at me, his eyes knowing.

"Just a little," he responded to my unspoken question. "I figured you could use a little extra."

With a sigh of contentment and amusement, I shook my head at him. "Thank you. What you all have done for me..." I turned my eyes to where Rosalie was standing, and I noted that she was wearing a slight smile of her own. "...means more to me than you'll ever know."

With a quiet laugh, she walked to my side and embraced me gently. "You're all right," she stated with another quiet laugh.

I smiled back at her. "Thank you, Rosalie, for everything. I hope that we can get on better terms."

She only shook her head, the corners of her lips turning up in a smile. "No, Jess. We're already there."

"August thirteenth?" Edward questioned as he looked at me.

We were sitting in the meadow only a few, short days later, enjoying the warmth of the sun and each other's company. "Yeah," I released a breath. "It's a month before my birthday." I looked back at him, smirking. "I don't really need-much less want-to be another year older than you. And... I asked Alice to help plan the wedding. She said she can get it together by then."

Edward grinned in response, looking away for just a brief second before meeting my gaze again. "I'm sure she can. There's no need for you to rush," he told me after a brief moment of silence.

I only grinned down at him. "True," I sighed. "But I've chosen my life, and I want to start living it."

He shook his head and smirked openly. "And so you're going to let Alice plan the whole thing? The dress, the reception, and the guest list. I mean, who knows who she's going to invite?"

"Oh, no." I responded, laughing. "I told her she has no say in what dress I pick, and I get to veto anything I don't like. But does it really matter?"

Edward only laughed as he intertwined his fingers with mine. "I just don't know why you're doing this." He sat up, wrapping his arm firmly around my waist.

"What?" I questioned. "The wedding?"

"No," he shook his head. "You're trying to make everyone else happy, but you're also already giving away too much."

"Actually, I'm not," I replied, smiling widely again. "Alice wasn't really too happy about my rules. But you're also wrong again." I averted my gaze as I tried to gather my thoughts, before finally standing up and turning back to look down at him. "This wasn't a choice between you and Jacob. There was never a choice between him and you. It was between who I should be and who I am." I took a breath, placing my hands into the back pockets of my jeans. "I've always felt out of step. And maybe that's because of who I was before I met you. I've never felt normal. I'm not normal and I don't want to be. I was always afraid to be myself around others, for fear of how they would react or what they would think of me. I have had to face death and loss... and pain in your world. But I have also never felt stronger and more real or more... myself, because it's my world, too." I returned to his side and took his hands into my own. "This," I continued, looking into his eyes. "Here, with you... this is where I belong."

Edward grinned up at me as he leaned back on his hands. "So it's not just about me?"

I pressed my lips together in an effort to hold back a smile. "No, sorry. It's never just about you." As I leaned forward to kiss him, I reached up to wrap my arms around his neck. "I've made a mess trying to figure all of this out, but I wanna do it right. I want to start living my life with you."

He chuckled quietly as he kissed me in return. "Starting with a wedding."

"Actually," I corrected, standing up again. "Something a little more difficult first, and maybe even dangerous." Edward stared up at me in confusion, not understanding at all what I meant. I smirked down at him. "I'm gonna need that ring."

Edward stood and pulled the ring from his pocket. He slipped it onto my finger as he smiled down at me. "And why would this be dangerous?"

With a faint smile, I shook my head. "We have to tell Bella."