Chapter 40

"They'll be here in four days."

Carlisle, Alice, Jasper, my sister, Jake, Embry, Quil, Edward and I were currently out on the balcony, listening to Alice tell us what she had seen in her vision. Jacob and his friends were standing up against the railing, with Bella standing next to them, Alice and Jasper were in the farthest corner away from the wolves, Edward and I were sitting on a small table by the window as Carlisle paced back and forth across the deck.

Jacob's expression was serious as he waited almost impatiently for the discussion to continue on, and I could sense Jasper was closely watching me, though I kept my blank gaze lowered to the ground. I had preferred that my sister not know about what was happening now for fear of worrying her, though Edward had been insistent. He stated it would be good for her to have a heads up.

"This could turn into a bloodbath," Carlisle murmured. His eyes were also downcast, and he was still pacing.

"Who's behind it?" Edward questioned.

Alice only shook her head, saying that she hadn't noticed anyone that she recognized. "Well..." she corrected quickly. "Maybe one."

I glanced up at Edward, taking note of the recognition flickering in his eyes. "I know his face, he's local. Riley Biers... he didn't start this."

"Well, whoever did is staying out of the action," Alice responded.

My gaze turned to my sister as they continued to discuss who could possibly be heading the situation. Her gaze soon locked with mine, a deep worry resting within them. Everything will be fine. I promise, I wanted to tell her. But I could not bring myself to actually say the words when I knew very well that there was a very good chance of that not being the case.

"Whoever's behind this must be playing with the blind spots in your vision," Carlisle stated as he turned to glance at Alice.

Jasper had been rather silent up to this point, only listening to the conversation as it continued to progress. But now, however, he spoke up. Jacob turned his eyes on Jasper as he began to immerse himself in the conversation. "Either way," he started. "The army is coming, and there aren't enough of us to protect the town."

When Bella looked at me in confusion and slight worry, I quickly lowered my eyes. "Army?" she questioned, not at all understanding.

At my reluctance to reply to her, Carlisle answered. "Newborns, our kind."

Embry then asked what they were after, and I turned my attention to him but still remained silent. Alice explained that they were passing around my scent. "A red blouse," she stated.

I wondered where that shirt went... When I looked up again, I noticed that Jacob was watching me closely, and I saw the unspoken question in his eyes. I shook my head as I quickly lowered my gaze again, silently informing him that I did not want to speak about how I felt about all of this. At least, not at the moment.

"So what does this mean?" Jacob asked after a moment of silence had settled.

"It means an ugly fight with lives lost." Carlisle answered Jacob's question, and I could sense the regret in his tone. He did not like to entertain the thought, but knew that it would be necessary to ensure my safety.

"We're in."

I took a step forward at Jacob's determined and sure tone, but Edward did not let me get any further than that, his grip on me firm. "Are you crazy?" I nearly hissed at him. "You'll get yourselves killed."

My sister looked about ready to agree with me, but Jacob stated that he wasn't exactly asking for my permission. And when I turned to face Edward, hoping that he would take my side but overall knowing that it was useless, I could tell that this was an argument I would lose. "It means more protection for you," was all he said.