Chapter 29

Bella turned from her place on the couch next to Alice and I to look at Jacob, though she did not say anything. Alice shifted below me before standing up. "Well, I'm not gonna hurt her." Alice's words somewhat implied that she was rather offended by the idea.

"No," Jacob agreed in defiance. "You're just a harmless Cullen. I'm talking about the other bloodsucker who tried to kill Jess because of you."

"Victoria?" Alice glanced at me, but I quickly avoided her gaze.

Bella sighed before responding when Alice glanced at her, as well. "Yeah, Victoria's been around."

Alice frowned at her words. "I didn't see her. I didn't see Jess get pulled out of the water, either." Slowly, Alice turned back to Jacob, a mild look of disgust on her face. "I can't see past you and your pack of mutts."

Jacob moved forward then, his tone threatening. "Don't get me upset... or things are gonna get very ugly."

Bella quickly jumped up from the couch to intervene. "Hey, stop." She told Jacob. She stepped between the two, looking at Alice expectantly.

"I'll give you a minute," Alice sighed.

At my sudden look, Alice gave me a reassuring smile, promising to come back after we had let the dog out. Bella turned back to Jacob, waiting for him to speak. Jake flickered a brief glance in my direction before looking back at my sister.

"Is he..." Jacob cut off, sighing in frustration before pressing on. "Are there others? How many Cullen's are here and how long are they staying?"

My sister ran a hand through her hair, shaking her head at Jacob before responding. "No, it's just Alice." After shooting me a worried look, Bella moved into the kitchen, and Jacob followed her. "And she can stay as long as she'd like."

I listened to their conversation from my place on the couch.

"Well, are the rest coming back?" Jacob continued to press the issue.

"No," Bella stated after a minute. "But why would you care if they do?"

Jacob made a comment about not wanting to see me get hurt, knowing Edward had intentionally left. My sister lowered her voice, so I was not sure what she said to him in response, though I assumed it had something to do with Jacob's actions towards me lately. I jumped slightly at the shrill and sudden ringing of the house phone, which Jake picked up.

"Swan residence."

Sighing, I stood from the couch and made my way over to the kitchen, standing in the doorway. I couldn't see Jacob's expression from the angle I was currently standing at, but I did see the muscles in his body tense as he straightened his posture. Bella met my gaze as I stood there, waiting.

"He's not here right now." Jacob's tone had changed; I detected a faint trace of annoyance and anger. "He's arranging a funeral."

"Who was that?" Bella questioned after Jake had hung up the phone. "What?" Her eyes flickered over his face, studying his expression, whatever it was.

"Always in the way," Jacob muttered as he turned around to face me. His eyes were dark and his expression was annoyed.

"Who was that?" Bella asked as she took a step forward. "Jacob, who was that?"

Jacob, however, began backing away from us both, and his hands were clenched into tight fists. "Bella, step back."

I hurried to stand next to my sister, curious to know who exactly it was Jacob had spoken to. "Jake," Bella continued, her tone guarded. "Who was that?"