Chapter 50

It took quite a while for all of the guests to take their seats and get settled, but once they had, Emmett stepped up onto the stage that had been set up by the dance floor. He tapped the microphone a few times, asking if it was on while looking out at the guests in an attempt to get their attention. Emmett grinned in acknowledgment of the wolf-whistle that someone had aimed his way.

"I'd like to propose a toast," he started, raising his glass of champagne. "To my new sister. Jess, I hope you've gotten enough sleep these last eighteen years, 'cause you won't be getting anymore for a while."

Jessica's speech was really more of a subtle insult towards me than anything else. "Well, Jess was just like everybody else, totally mesmerized by Edward. And then, suddenly, Edward is all about Jess." It was not at all hard to see that she was still somewhat bitter about having been turned down by Edward in the past.

"Edward will be a good husband." My father was looking out at us as he spoke. "I know this because I'm a cop." That resulted in a few laughs from the guests. "I know things, like how to hunt somebody to the ends of the earth, and I know how to use a gun." Dad had locked eyes with me at that point, and I felt the beginnings of tears start to prick at my eyes.

"Are you alright, love?" Edward questioned, kissing my cheek.

"Yeah," I sighed before smiling up at him, brushing my fingers quickly under my eyes.

Alice was grinning widely as she took her place behind the microphone. "Now that you're my sister, you will have to get over your aversion to fashion." I pressed my lips together and shook my head. She went on to list a few things that I would have to deal with, such as skirts, heels, and handbags. But when my mother stepped up to the mic, I already knew that I would be embarrassed by what she would have to say... or in this case, sing. When she began to sing the song she used to get me to sleep as a kid, I promptly turned and buried my face in Edward's shirt, blushing furiously, much to his unabashed amusement. Edward was laughing unapologetically as he squeezed my hands.

Esme was the next to speak. "I would like to thank Renee and Charlie for bringing such a wonderful person into the world, and into our lives. We will cherish and protect her forever."

After a few more minutes, Edward released me from his grip before standing up. "It's an extraordinary thing to meet someone you can bare your soul to." Once again, my eyes were locked onto him as he spoke, a faint smile on my lips. "I've been waiting for what seems a very long time to get beyond what I am." He smiled now as well. "And with Jess... I feel like I can finally begin. So I would like to propose a toast to my beautiful bride. No measure of time with you will be long enough. But let's start with forever."

The music playing in the background was way too upbeat for the way Edward and I were dancing, but neither one of us minded. He smirked down at me then, piquing my curiosity. "Another one of your gifts just arrived." At my confused expression, he took my hand and pulled me off the dance floor to lead me to where the gift was.

Edward led me away from the reception and around the side of the house. It was darker on this side of the spacious yard, but the lights from the reception-as well as the moonlight-were still casting just enough of a glow to allow me to see clearly.

"What's a wedding present doing all the way out here?" I questioned.

Edward glanced down at me, a spark of amusement in his gaze. "Just a little more private."

"The best man didn't have time to get a tux."

My face broke into a grin at the sight of seeing Jacob standing before me. He was wearing an untucked white dress shirt and faded jeans, his posture relaxed as he smiled at me. "Jacob!" I released Edward's hand as I ran to embrace him, both of us laughing. "Hey."