Chapter 35

Edward drove me over to the police station after school, and I could see my father sitting at his desk just inside, talking to a middle-aged couple. I hopped up onto the railing behind me, grabbing onto Edward's shoulder for support when I almost fell back. He gave me a look that asked me to be careful, though he wrapped his arm around me anyway to keep me steady. He had been rather silent for the remainder of the day, and I knew it was because of the vision Alice had seen during lunch.

"I know you know what Alice saw," I stated as I looked at him. "Tell me."

Edward only shook his head at me. "I didn't realize that you had noticed it. You were gone before it even happened."

I only shrugged in response. "That doesn't mean anything. What did she see?"

He shook his head again. "It was nothing."

"Fine." I shoved his arm away as I lowered my body to the ground. "Don't tell me."

Edward quickly pulled me back into his arms before I could walk through the doors of the station. The couple my father was speaking to handed him a photo, though from the angle I was currently at, I was unable to see what was on it.

Edward sighed before speaking. "There's been unexplained killings and disappearances in Seattle. We've been tracking it for a while, but if it gets any more conspicuous, the Volturi will step in."

"Which means they could come here and see that I'm still human," I responded quietly.

Edward turned me in his arms until I was facing him. "It won't get that far," he assured me.

But before I could mention the anxious feeling I had about it, dad walked outside, telling the couple that he would fax over some papers in the morning. His eyes turned to me, a glimmer of annoyance in his eyes as he took in the sight of Edward's arms around me.

"It is still just me, you and Bella for dinner, right?" dad questioned. There was a very clear undertone of hope in his voice.

"I'm just dropping her off," Edward assured him. His lips quickly brushed against my own before he turned away to walk to his car. Just before he got in, however, he glanced back at me. "Jess, my parents wanted me to remind you about the airline ticket they got you for your birthday."

"What airline ticket?" dad glanced over at me, a look of confusion spreading across his face.

"Um..." I frowned, taking a deep breath before continuing on. "It's a roundtrip ticket to see mom in Florida."

Dad shifted his stance, his gaze flickering between Edward and I. "That was generous," he stated, though his tone was a bit flat.

"It expires soon," Edward informed me. "So you might want to use it this weekend."

I gave him a protesting look, claiming that I could not just drop everything and go. He returned the expression, saying that it would be my last chance to see my mother before graduation arrived.

"That might not be a bad idea." Dad jumped in, almost excitedly now. "Get out of town for a few days and get some distance." His eyes flickered between Edward and I once or twice. "You should take your sister with you."

My expression darkened considerably as I stared at Edward, who pressed his lips together into a thin line as he tried to hide his smile. He knew very well what he was doing, and he knew that I knew he was enjoying it. Edward was still trying to change my mind when it came to my decision to become like him and his family, despite the fact that he knew very well my decision was made.

The warmth was absolutely amazing. I certainly had not realized until I was relaxing on a lounge chair next to my mother and sister just how much I had actually missed the heat. I had also missed seeing the sun every day instead of thick, dark clouds constantly threatening to drop rain. Mom and Bella were speaking quietly to each other as I lay there, taking in as much sun as I could.