Chapter 8

I looked at him with a blank stare. That definitely wasn't the answer I was looking for. We were now leaning against his car as the silence fills between us again. He brought his head back until his eyes looked straight into the night sky filled with blankets of stars that stretched endlessly. The stars looked as beautiful as him, but I'd never say it out loud. I stood right next to him unsure of what to say, and we stayed like that for a few minutes.

What were you thinking about, Levi?

"What was Petra like?", he closed his eyes and sighed. I felt a lingering regret as those words left my mouth, but I wanted to know why he felt so strongly that love was a horrible thing. It was quiet between us again. I didn't know what else to say so I fumbled with my key fob to unlock my car until Levi had finally said something.

"Get in my car, Eren", I looked at him with confusion. He opened the passenger door for me and gestured me to get in. "Don't make me repeat myself, Eren. Get in", his voice sounding a little harsh which caused me to flinch a little. I obliged at his sudden order, but I was still confused as to why he told me to get in the car. He swung the door closed once I got in and I watch him hurriedly get into the drivers seat before turning his car on. He drove out of the parking lot, I watched my car and the library slowly get smaller until it was no longer to be seen. I was met with an unfamiliar route that Levi had taken me.

"Where are we going?", I fumbled with my fingers. Levi and I have never went anywhere else except the library and maybe Starbucks, so it was definitely nerve wracking to see him drive us to a place I've probably never been to before.

"To the place where I proposed to her"

——————

It was a very long drive, I'd say an hour max. I glanced at the clock that was in Levi's dashboard, 10:13pm. The drive was silent, the only thing you could hear was Levi's heavy breathing that seemed to get worse once we got to an area that was unknown to me. This place definitely brought back memories to Levi as I watched a series of emotions unfold on his face in front of me. This place was definitely a lookout because the view from here looked amazing. We could see the whole city as it shined ever so brightly right in front of us. We got out and slowly made our way to his car's hood as we continued to look at the view.

"She was my first love", Levi spoke first. His voice sounded shaky but soon went away after taking a deep breath. I waited patiently for him to continue on because all I wanted to do was just listen.

"We dated all throughout high school. We shared a lot of 'firsts' together. First kiss, first date, first body..first everything", I watched him clench his fists together, clearly showing how frustrated and hurt he was. My first instinct was to grab his hand, and so I did. I didn't care what he thought of me touching him, but I just wanted to comfort him. His hand immediately relaxed once he felt the warmth from mines. He looked at me with tears welling in his eyes and I felt a sharp pang in my heart.

"It wasn't until we graduated from high school that she started acting different. Distancing herself from me, ignoring my texts and calls, we'd go days without talking and that hurt me. Now, imagine the pain I felt when I found out that she cheated on me for the first time. It was a different type of pain. The type of pain that would continuously stab you in the back that left you with so much agony but you couldn't do anything to make it better. I wasn't enough for her, although I've gone above and beyond to make her the happiest women on Earth", his voice trembled as he didn't even attempt to hide the tears streaming down his face.

"This continued on for another three years. Every time I became happy without her, she'd come back running to me and I'd gladly take her back. Hoping that every single time she came, she would change and realize how many times she's fucked up. I've built walls around her, but she managed to break it down one by one. She'd take and take from me until there was nothing else left for me to give her. That's when she'd run off with some other man, and come back to me when it was convenient for her.
But I loved her. I loved every single thing about her. That was the problem with me. Her smile sent butterflies to my stomach. Her laugh and giggles were the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. Her soft lips against mines made me yearn for her some more. I wanted to show her how I much I loved her, hell, I needed to show her how much she meant to me. So, I bought her a ring, one that I thought she truly deserved", he continued on some more.

"All I heard her say was 'I can't', and the smile on my face quickly wiped away. I was embarrassed. Why did I think someone like her would say yes to me proposing?", I watch him wipe away the tears with his long sleeve before he continued on.

"How can loving someone be so painful?", his eyes met mine. His silver grey eyes were bloodshot, clearly showing the pain he's built up since they've broke up. He was in such a vulnerable state, one that I've never ever seen from him before.

I took his arm and pulled him up until he was in front of me. He never questioned why I did so, but he looked tired and defeated. I gazed into his face as I cupped my hand under his chin until his eyes met mines. We stared at each other for a few seconds until I pulled him into my chest. My chin rested atop his head as I wrapped my arms around his neck to bring him closer to my body. His legs were in between mines. I could tell he froze, but his arms slowly snaked up to my waist and tightly wrapped around it. His body immediately relaxed, and I found myself playing with his hair as he continued to cry into my chest.

He was broken. He put up barriers to protect himself and never left his guard down. There was a reason why he would never let anyone in except if it was Hanji or Erwin. He constantly distracted himself in order to avoid the pain and hurt he went through with Petra. But, how could you continuously hurt a man that has gone through hell and back for you? How could anyone hurt Levi?

I closed my eyes as the only thing I could hear were the soft sniffles coming from Levi. The love he gave didn't match the love he had received. It hurt me, because I know in no way did he deserve all of that bullshit, at all.

"Levi", I called out to him. I looked down at him as his head tilted back to look at me. I couldn't help but smile down at him as he let out a small 'hmm' in a questioning way.

"Would you try this 'love' thing another shot?", he looked at me with those grey eyes that immediately made me melt.

"With the right person, yeah", he used his right hand to wipe away the remaining tears that stayed on his face and immediately wrapped his arm back to my waist, squeezing me a little more.

"Then let's give it a shot. Together."