28| Goodbyes

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Goodbyes

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 28: Goodbyes (Rowan's POV)

As we walked out of the conference room, I couldn't help but pick up the pace despite hearing Evie groan softly as her heels hit the floor faster in her attempts to keep up with me. We made it to my office room and I dropped my glasses on the table while sitting in my seat. 

At the same time, she stood in front of my table and placed her hands on the black marble, staring at me. "Rowan, come on."

I looked at her, running my tongue along the inside of my cheek. "Come on, what?" 

She put her hands up in surrender quickly. "If you want to mope, then just say you want to mope. But it's not the best look for you. I'm going to get some coffee, can I get you anything?" 

"I don't think caffeine would help me at this very moment, Lyubov." 

"Great, then I'll bring you tea." 

"I hate tea." 

"You won't after I make you one. I'll be right back," she said before shuffling out. 

"Yebat," I released a breath, the Russian curses slipping out of me as I pinched the bridge of my nose as a headache took over behind my brows. Fuck. I tipped my head back, staring at the ceiling while replaying the meeting in my head over and over again. 

College? He truly expected me to visit him while I was in Russia for college? I drowned everybody out for those four years and even if I had to talk to anybody, Daniel would be the last person on my list. 

I certainly know who the first would be. 

When I left for college, I didn't think being far from New York, the only place I had come to consider home, would be so difficult but because of a certain person, it was. 

"For fuck's sake," I sighed, groaning in frustration and walking to my window, pulling it down and locking it shut while glaring at Nate, Grandpa, and the Spencers who all sat in the backyard for lunch. The laughter, the giggling, the jokes were my biggest headache right now when I was trying to pack up the last of my things before I left for St. Petersburg this weekend. When I walked back to my suitcase, I heard the laughter finally dying down and I released a breath of relief and continued folding up my clothes and packing the suitcase. I didn't pause even when I heard rapid footsteps up the staircase and right to my door which was soon thrown open. 

Catching her breath, she stormed up to me and grabbed the t-shirt out of my hand, throwing it onto the pile on the bed. "You're leaving?" she asked. 

I stared at the suitcase for a minute before meeting her gaze as I grabbed the t-shirt she threw and began folding it neatly again only for her to toss it away again. 

"You're leaving," she repeated but it wasn't a question this time. 

I faced her. "You seem less happy than I expected you to be, Lyubov," I said, tipping her chin up using my knuckles.