The One About Goblins And A Bank

This takes place in my revised fantasy world, so the logic and lore is pretty similar to almost everything else.

Background.

So, for my writing class, we had an assignment to write a short story

So, for my writing class, we had an assignment to write a short story. Our only "true" requirement was a conclusive ending.

I did everything but that. 😂

There aren't many warnings, other than some minor crime mention and wordy insults.

Shortly after the Kingdom of Doshall set out to colonize the north, a settlement known as Newbang was born. It was Doshall's first and only successful colony, despite the kingdom making thousands of attempts to colonize more of the snowy mountains as vantage points for future wars. The colony struggled at first, none of the species who resided there equipped or prepared for the harsh, white winter that came and refused to leave. The first winter in Newbang stole more lives than any known battle of Doshall ever had. Those who survived the winter were left scarred from traumatic memories the tragedy had left behind. Despite all that happened in the early days, the residents of the colony never gave up on their settlement.

Surprisingly, I didn't know that exposition dumbing was bad at this point. Also, this is mostly still canon within the reworked fantasy world.

Their home.

Newbang's location ended up serving as a vital asset to winning independence against Doshall. The mountain's climate was unfamiliar to the Doshall soldiers, so the rebellion easily took them out in battle. The rebellion stole the Doshallian army's rations of food and water, leaving them without much or anything left, forcing them to retreat on multiple occasions. Over the years of living in the snow, the Newbang population began to farm and store rations underground where the icy precipitation could not reach it. Thus, ensuring their survival in the nine cold months of the year.

Nine cold months? Scandinavia?

After the colony of Newbang emerged victorious from the war, breaking free of the unfair rule of Doshall, the returning warriors started to rebuild what of their home had been lost to the rage of combat. One of those warriors, Gray Green, had been left destruate with the death of his wife and the destruction of his business. Though, all the bloodshed and the time during the war, something good had come out of it all.

His son.

Is supposed to be dramatic? Having these small sentences after paragraphs of exposition?

Grayson Green, or should I say myself, was born around the start of the war. Both of my parents volunteered to join the rebellion, hoping to give me a better future when it was all over. I don't have any account of what life was like before Newbang gained its independence, though from what I've been told things are much better now than they were when the nation was a mere colony.