Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Harry's POV

My hands are covered in a thin layer of cool sweat, my leg unconsciously bouncing underneath the table. When Autumn walks into the kitchen my heart stops. Her beauty takes all of my attention away from my thoughts for a short moment of peace. She smiles kindly at me as a blush overtakes her cheeks. I stand, my body standing taller than her own fragile one.

I direct her to sit down in a chair across my own at the table. Everything is set up perfectly, one candle illuminating the spaghetti I finished with my mother's recipe, bread without any garlic since Autumn is allergic. It's all perfect just for her, hopefully it will distract from what I have to tell her.

"You look lovely Autumn," I sip from the white wine I spent a small fortune on. "Thank you," the blush on her cheeks sets more confidence into my heart as I smile back at her. "This is fantastic Harry," she smiles widely at me with a small giggle. "Autumn I have to tell you something. And I need you to hear me out before you say anything okay?" She nods slowly, fear held in her eyes that leaves me feeling more guilty than ever. "We need to leave, tonight. And we won't be coming back." Her chest quickly rose and fell, each breath obviously thinner than the one before.

"The army knows who I am, where I'm from. They were apparently pissed off that I deserted like that and they've been asking around. Someone ratted me out and I'm sure they'll be here any second. You know what the punishment for desertion is in America?" She gulps and brings her hand up to hold her neck with tears in her eyes. "We have to get out of here," she whispers and I release a sigh of relief.

Autumn's POV

I carefully fold each item of clothing into the suitcase Harry gave me, dresses from Evangeline and regular items from Harry's sister. Part of me still feels odd wearing her clothes but we're desperate here and have no time to find anything else. We've planned to leave in an hour, giving us both time to pack everything and remove any evidence of us ever being here. Tears of fear and frustration constantly cascade down my cheeks while I pack, nothing ever being more frightening or aggravating to me before. Harry's life is in danger and the only thing I can do is sit around and watch.

Arms wrap around my waist from behind me, sniffing heard from my nose as I lean back into Harry's chest. Slowly he turns me to face him, tears obvious in his eyes and staining his cheeks. My lips find his, the taste of his salty tears mixing with my own. I understand why he's so upset, he and his family lived in this house since he was young. All of his memories live within his home and leaving it means leaving his family in the past for good.

"We're going to be okay," he whispers against my lips. "Harry they want you dead." He sighs and pulls me into his chest. His shirt is redolent with his cologne, his perfect mix of a manly, intoxicating smell. Through my tears I could hear his unsteady heartbeat, my own about to burst through my chest. The thought of losing him paralyzes me with fear.

"But I have something to live for, all they're fighting for is their corrupted country, I'm fighting for you." I find myself setting my hands gently on his cheeks, looking into his newly confident eyes. My smile is large as he smiles back at me, my lip taken between my teeth as I blush.

"Are you ready to leave?" I nod and zip the suitcase up, taking short steps to the front door as Harry grabs his bag. We situate ourselves into his car before we both take long awaited breaths. Stress and anxiety encases us both as he sets his hands on the wheel and sighs. "We'll drive to the next town quickly, take another car and continue. It should take us a little less than a week to get to New Orleans where the boat will be waiting for us. We're going to London."

Harry begins to speed away from the house, and I'm sure if it was the middle of the night I would see tears coursing down his cheeks as he leaves his childhood home behind. The lights are dim, the view ahead of the car at its very minimum. Darkness and silence encases us both as we have nothing to do but think of different times.

His phone rang for the fifth time before going to voicemail, my breath catching as I wait to leave the message I had been dreading for what seemed like hours. My stomach turns constantly, the mix of Xanax and alcohol slowly eating away at my insides. Every breath is shakier than the last as I await the beep to allow me to say my final words.

"Oli, I uh I don't really know how to make this easy to understand, I don't even think I really understand it myself. You've never actually known me so I'm sure that you won't know why this is happening. But after everything that mom put me through it's hard to wake up in the morning. It hurts to keep breathing, it hurts so much. I love you, so unbelievably much. Take care of Charles, please. I wouldn't trust him with anyone else besides you. I'm not okay to take care of him anymore, I can't even take care of myself. I just, goodbye Oli."

Silence encompasses the air as my mom drives me home from the hospital. Dissatisfaction and disappointment covers her features even in the cover of night. Home was farther away from the hospital than I ever remembered, my sensitive stomach churning with every bump and turn. Oli found me passed out on my bedroom floor after receiving my message and took me to the hospital, but left as soon as I was taken to get my stomach pumped. I can still feel the stains of tears burning the skin of my cheeks, the alcohol burning my throat.

"You disgust me you know that?" I whisper a small 'yes'. "Good," Nothing else is said as I stumble into the house. A slap is received across my cheek and a shove at my back, leaving me on the ground as my mom walks past me. I crawl slowly to my room, collapsing on my bed in a heap of numbing pain.

"Autumn, we need to switch cars. Stay in here while I get everything ready." I stay seated while Harry goes to the car in front of us, taking almost no time is hot-wiring the vehicle and helping me into it. "We're going to be okay Autumn. We'll make it through this," at this point it seems like he's trying to convince himself more than me but it settles the beat of my heart just hearing him speak. I lean over the center console and kiss his lips, neither of us pulling away until we need a new breath.

**a/n I know this has been a long time coming but I hope you enjoy it. I'm sure my updates will be a lot more consistent after final exams and such. Please tell me how you're feeling about this story. Thank you for all the continuous support lovelies. xx**