Chapter 35

Chapter 35

The Blacklist. It was made illegal after the 1900's, but rose again shortly after the war began. It was less of a list to point out Union members as to keep them away from jobs, and more of a kill list. Any enemy of the United States of America was on that list, Osama Bin Laden was on that list, some serial killers such as Charles Manson or Jeffery Dahmer.

And me.

I entered this country as a boy, and was soon after added to the Blacklist. My entire family was put on that list, and now, years later, I am the only one left standing. We knew what we were getting into when we arrived but in truth I once thought that America was all talk, their government, their soldiers, I didn't give them enough credit. It only took the death of the rest of my family for me to realize that.

That's why I'm dead.

Well, I am dead to a majority of the American government, some parties obviously still believe I am alive. When my parent's work was bombed they found an unidentifiable body, and judging by the size they believed it was me. They took care of Gemma after that and moved on. But someone out there didn't buy it, I know some organization knows that I'm still alive and they'll do anything to get my head on a silver platter.

I remember when my father first explained everything to me, he had been working with the British government all his life and he knew what was to come from such a job. He just wasn't expecting all of us to go along with him, he wanted to protect us all but by the time I was born he knew he couldn't. He gave me all the secrets he had the morning of the bombing, all the information he had on the government, old and new. I knew everything, every word stuck with me and I can never forget it. It took him an hour to spill all of it onto me and it was probably the most haunting hour of my life.

Secrets about different terrorist groups, secret societies, cults, and the royal family members themselves. I never would have guessed what these secrets would do to me, holding them away from everyone I've ever know , even my own sister. They run constantly through every corner of my mind, driving me slowly to the brink of my sanity until I close my eyes for sleep.

Before I had Autumn, the secrets would torture my dreams as well, turning them into brutal nightmares. Whenever she is with me my mind turns quiet with thoughts of only her. She's been through hell and back more than once, more than anyone ever should, but she's stronger than anyone I've ever met.

Now that she's been seen exclusively with me she's been blacklisted as well, and as much as I'd like to pretend, I don't have any way to truly protect her here in the states. Until we're safely out of London, she's vulnerable. If she speaks even a word she will be shot on sight and I won't have any say. I'd probably be killed as well, associating myself so closely with an American.

But of course I'll do anything to keep her safe, she's the love of my life. Seeing the love behind the obvious pain in her eyes every day motivates me to keep going, to make life better for us both. Autumn deserves more than the pain she has, and how much it's changed her, and I intend to give it all to her.

Starting right now.

With my arms wrapped around her exhausted body we sleep through the trip, arriving in Great Britain sooner than I would have imagined. The train ride into London is silent between all of us, Autumn knowing her risk of even stepping foot in this country.

"Harold Edward Styles, son of late Anne and Des Styles. It's been too long." I shudder under the gaze of Queen's secret commanding officer Winston, his age having no relevancy to his strength. "Who's your friend here?" Niall has already left for Ireland but Autumn stands by my side, scared out of her mind. "Her name is-"

"She can introduce herself can she not?" I cringe but hold my stance. "Actually no sir, she was born mute, with underdeveloped vocal cords. Her name is Autumn Joy and she'll be staying under my care." He nods, my shock clearly evident on my face.

"Harold these years have been long and trying, but this war is coming to an end. You were an enemy in America but you will never be here. Go, settle for once in your life."

**a/n super short but that's all you need to know before the epilogue! I'm so sad this book is coming to an end. I'm so sorry about the lack of updates but honestly I've been heart broken lately, but I'll suck it up and move on. Thank you for the continuing support. xx**