Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Autumn's POV

Nowhere during my drivers education class did we talk about driving during the Third World War. With people scrambling around and little orphans running around freely, driving is no longer a freedom but a chore. Harry makes it easier, singing under his breath so only he can hear it, or so he thinks. His voice is breathtaking and I smile to myself, forcing my compliments back so he doesn't stop. He says that he has a meeting with a few men from his own country, and that if I must go I cannot speak no matter what until we were to get back home. Butterflies rose in my stomach at his use of the word 'home' but I think nothing of it, his statement must have just made me nervous which isn't a total lie.

"I really don't want to leave you alone like that. Anything could happen," his voice interrupted my thoughts with concern. "Why would I not be able to speak Harry?" The answer terrifies me but I know that I'll screw up if I go into this completely blind. I'd end trying to voice my opinion unknowingly and end up shot or something. Judging by Harry's concern, that possibility must not be far off. We pull up to the hospital and I get out and help Harry down as well. He wobbles a bit on the way to the front doors, but mostly because of all of the people rushing in and out of the hospital. It seems more like a madhouse to me.

"Nurse," I yell when we get inside, trying to raise my voice over the commotion in the lobby. Getting over to the front desk would have been impossible without Harry the six feet giant behind me practically pushing me through the crowd. "He has a head injury please just take a look," I yell when I get to the desk. Poppy, the short blonde nurse behind the desk glares at me but agrees to help Harry.

Two hours later we get back to the car. Harry falls asleep almost immediately as I drive away, obviously exhausted from the experience. He had slight internal bleeding, but it was clotted by the immediate swelling and regulated when the swelling went down. They gave him advanced pain medication to help the extreme pain and some blood regulators for any excess blood still in the area. His whimpers of pain broke my heart as the doctors poked and prodded at his head. It's painful to look at the bandage wrapped almost too tightly around his head now but I just have to remember that it's there to help him not hurt him.

"Do we need to go home before your meeting Harry," I ask quietly and he murmurs a small 'yes' in response. I nod even though he isn't looking and turn towards the house. As Harry walks into the house I feel a small tug on my sleeve. I look down to see a young boy, who couldn't be more than four years old. His face is covered in dirt and bruises, his clothes torn up, and his tiny converse ready to tear at the sole. Every part of me broke in two at the sight of him, his eyes so much like Charles'. That could've easily been me, Oli, or Charles instead of him. I smile down at him and nod for him to say something. "Ma'am you are very beautiful. I hope that boy over in there tells you that." I blush and tear up at his kind words.

Harry doesn't tend to call me beautiful but he makes me feel like I am every time he looks at me. The way his green eyes spark with care when they meet mine sends my emotions into a frenzy. I've known him for such a short time now it almost seems absurd to think these things but I can't help it. Growing through the past that I had was enough to keep me away from boys while going through school. Oliver would also chase all of them away on the playground during recess so that didn't help much either.

"Thank you so much. He does." He smiles and nods slightly. "Did you want some food or something. I'd be glad to help such a fine little gentleman." He sheepishly nods. "I'll be right back." I grab my old school bag and set it on the counter, quickly grabbing a blanket from the closet, some nonperishable food before grabbing the one hundred dollar bill I always kept there for dire emergencies. This is obviously a worthy cause. I return to him and hand him the bag. His eyes light up and I can see the tears forming in his eyes so I kneel down to him and hand him the folded bill and his breath catches. "Find somewhere to stay safe with this. And be careful love." He hugs me tightly and I hug him back. "What's your name," he asks.

"My name is Autumn. What's yours?" He lets go of me and smiles. "Charlie," he waves and stumbles off slowly in the direction of our only shelter. "Autumn," Harry calls from inside, giving me no time to dwell on the pain in my heart. I rush in and find him in his room messing with his long hair. We talked about it in the hospital, him complaining about weird looks in town but I told him that he should just let it grow. "Can you go find a nice black or grey dress from the wardrobe and get changed for the meeting. You'll be safer with me than you would be alone." I nod and quickly change before following him to the car. He's dressed completely in black like me. "I don't think it's safe for you to drive Harry. And you're supposed to keep that bandage on."

"Why don't you just practice shutting up now Autumn before we get there and you get your fucking head blown off for being American," he screams at me and rage fills my entire body. I slam the door shut and walk down the driveway away from Harry as fast as possible.

**a/n super crappy update but hopefully you enjoy it! If you do please don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and share. Thank you lovelies! xx**