Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Autumn's POV

"They're initiating the draft today. Most of the men in this town will be gone by tonight." Harry dresses his torso in a black sweater before sitting down to tie up his combat boots. "The troops will be here soon. Get ready. Don't cover your bruises, they know this town they'll know where you got them. They'll see that I have to protect you by just walking around town. I won't be able to speak, you'll need to cover for me. Tell them that I am mute, make up solid excuses and we'll be okay. The mentally disabled aren't usually allowed to fight, it's a risk for other soldiers." My fever left me yesterday after two days of being completely useless. I get out of the warm bed and go to get some clothes.

I slip into a skirt and crop top, listening to Harry's advice not to cover up. Old tennis shoes fit my feet perfectly and I throw on a beanie to look further put together. My body continues to ache but each day it becomes slightly more bearable. I have a bad feeling about actually going out into town today. But I shrug the feeling off and walk out to meet Harry in the living room. He smiles and stands when he sees me. My lips smile before I think about it, just from the sight of Harry. His hands find my waist as my own find their way to his curls. Our lips collide, leaving nothing but passion in the space that once existed.

The downtown area was filled to capacity with soldiers. Many younger troops looked at me, so gasp but others keep to themselves. Harry's fingers are intertwined with mine as we walk down the street. It's strange, not hearing a word from him, the silence is almost deafening. A high ranking official with a three striped badge walks over, immediately eyeing Harry. He trips over his own feet a bit, something he's never done before. "Hello son, ma'am." He removes his hat and nods at as both. "Hi I'm Joy, and this and Jackson, my brother." His hand tightens around mine but not enough to hurt. "I'm Sergeant Joseph Canjing. How old are you my boy?" Harry turns to me with a look between innocence and fear.

"He's 19." The Sergeant looks extremely confused but continues. "Does he not have a voice for himself young lady?" "Um no actually, he's mute and has schizophrenia. I haven't heard his voice for as long as I can remember sir." He is either unfazed by the new information or is used to hearing it. "Well I'm sorry to say this but another draft has been issued, all eligible males must come with us," he grabs Harry's arm but I immediately pull him back to me. He wraps his arms around me but it does nothing to comfort me. "No you can't take him from me. He's the only thing I have," I scream out the only truth I've told today. "I'm sorry Miss Joy, but Jackson has to come with us. My country's orders."

"You can't do this," tears stream from my eyes as Harry is pulled away from me. "No," my throat is on the verge of tearing apart at the volume of my voice. "Go home and tell your parents Miss Joy, I'm sure they'll understand what their son is doing for their country." "You got my family killed you prick! All of you. They're dead because of this disgusting country, you can't take him away from me too," Harry has tears in his eyes and tries to escape their arms to run to me. "Is that everyone Private," he has the nerve to ignore me and speak to his colleague. "Yes sir." "Let's go," they begin to march away with Harry and many other boys in tow. My eyes catch the small homeless boy, Charlie, I once provided for and I break down, falling to me knees.

"Fuck you and fuck this worthless country," I scream at the top of my lungs before letting my tears overcome my voice. Hours later my body gives to the tension, falling flat to the ground and staying there. The people have all secluded themselves in their homes and left me here to rot. Sleep powers over me, leaving me to my nightmares that could never compare to the one that I am about to live.

I'm awoken by the sound over scattering feet around me. The townspeople have gone about their daily lives while I wake to the sunlight. Tears immediately prick at my eyes as I find myself walking back to the house that belonged to Harry just yesterday.

**a/n short update but that's all I've got for you right now, I hope you appreciate and enjoy it. As usual please don't forget to vote, comment, follow, and share. Thank you lovelies. xx**