Chapter 8: The Rebel

Inside her room, Chloe laid on her bed smoking a cigarette. The past few days have been absolute chaos. Chloe just needed to escape. Even if it was just for a few minutes.

I still can't believe this shit is happening. Rachel is on the news. Everywhere I go, people are talking about her. It's driving me hella insane.

When will all of this end?

Chloe finished her smoke and put her ashtray on the bed next to her. She looked around her room, reminiscing about the times she and Rachel spent together. Now that Rachel is a worldwide sensation, for all the wrong reasons, seeing her face again brought all kinds of memories back.

After slowly drifting apart over the last few months, Chloe and Rachel's relationship took a heavy toll. Once upon a time, they were romantically involved with each other. But just like everything else, that faded away once they grew more and more distant. It was no one's fault. However, Chloe wished they could have been happy for just a little bit longer.

But now, Rachel was farther away than anyone. And Chloe fucking missed her.

Chloe ran her fingers through her strawberry blonde hair which had a hint of blue dye going down the side.

Rachel really liked it when I dyed my hair. She suggested that someday I should do the rest. I don't know. Maybe if she was still here.

There was a knock at the door. "Chloe? Can you come downstairs please?" Chloe's mother asked. Chloe was confused at why Joyce sounded a little concerned. And to be honest, it scared her to open that door to see what was the problem.

"Uhh, sure?" Chloe said confused.

I wonder what the problem is.

Chloe scooted off the bed and walked to the door. Once she opened it, Joyce was already back downstairs. Chloe walked down the steps and turned down the hallway into the living room. She saw her step-douche standing by the table with his arms crossed. He side glanced at her when he saw her, grimacing at her. Chloe also heard her mother talking with someone else.

When Chloe entered the living room, she was surprised to see a police officer with another man dressed in a suit and tie. Their conversation was interrupted when they saw Chloe enter the room.

Joyce turned to her daughter. "Chloe, this is Detective Jack Grey." Joyce said.

"Chloe." Detective Grey greeted with a nod.

"What's going on?" Chloe asked. "It's been brought to our attention that Rachel might be heading down to Long Beach." Grey said. "During our meeting with Rachel's parents, they brought this with them." Grey held out a rolled up map. Chloe grabbed it and rolled it open. "As you can see, there's a red marker line that goes from here, all the way down to Long Beach, California." The detective said.

"Can we move this to the table?" Chloe asked.

"Of course." Grey said.

They laid out the map on the table. Chloe saw the old message she wrote for Rachel on the map. "From the things Joyce has told us, you and Rachel seemed to have been good friends." Detective Grey said. Chloe smirked. "That's an understatement." She said. "Do you know why she's going down to Long Beach? Have you talked with her at all?" Grey asked.

Chloe recalled the night when she called Rachel and she answered, but Rachel was very vague about where she was. But Chloe wasn't going to bring that up.

"No. We haven't talked for a while." Chloe told them. Detective Grey nodded, scratching his chin that had facial hair coming in. He looked down at the map, looking at the message. "Who wrote that?" He asked. Chloe looked down at the message she wrote years ago.